Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well after reading the tutorial, I figured I couldn't add sand to my tank the same way you guys did. Heres whats going on and heres what I started:

I have a 90 gallon tank which I partially drained to 1/3rd height and added all my sand to, which was probably 100 lbs or more. Heres what the tank looks like now (attached image).

What should I do now? Should I allow the sand to settle in overnight, then siphon anything out? Should I siphon out all this dirty water now? Should I add water to fill the tank up and turn on the filter tomorrow?

What to do? Thanks!

· Registered
1,881 Posts
I think that will take a long time to settle and you should have followed the directions in the tank and equip forum on adding sand. If you had you would not have this problem so perhaps gallands advice is best or wait and see if it settles or not.

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I don't think taking all that sand out is an option, way too much and too difficult. So I guess I may wait till tomorrow to see if it settles and drain the water, rinse and repeat inside the aquarium. ?

· 2012 Is the year the World ENDS!!!&#33
3,545 Posts
You said your read the sand info?

Can I ask why you did'nt do it that way? If I was you I would take out all the water and pour out all of the sand into a bucket. Rinse out the sand real good before adding it to you tank. I dont think the filter can fix the problem for you. It's alright.......... Roll up your sleves and get to work

· Registered
1,900 Posts
i have sand in every one of my tanks and i have used the same method as in that pinned thread that u said u have read. i have never had a problem like that before. why did u do it like that? i dont understand why u wanted to make more work for yourself? i really would take it out and put it in a bucket and follow the thread. if u dont want to do that i really wouldnt turn your filters on that is one way to f them all up. i would wait a couple of days and see if is settles. use a gravel vac and try to get as much of the dirt off the top of the sand as possible. i would also stir the sand up and try to get as much dirt in the water as possible then try to get that water out of there. u really just made more work for yourself.

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah man, this aint working out for me too well lol. Well I painstakingly took out most of the sand and cleaned it, bucket by bucket. Took a couple hours, put the sand back in, filled it with water and its still choclately looking.

· Registered
414 Posts
Are you pouring the water directly on the sand? Should try putting a plate or something down when adding water so it doesn't stir it up so much.

· Registered
420 Posts
You're gonna have to do it the hard way man. Add bucket after bucket of water and take bucket after bucket out. If you have a python, might wanna put it to use. If not, I feel sorry for your back, because its gonna take a few hours of water changing to the water clean.

· Registered
192 Posts
Put about 20 pounds of the sand in a 5 gallon bucket. Then take the outdoor hose with the blast nozzle on it and stick it in the middle. As the cloudy water comes up, slowly dump it over the side. Repeat, Repeat until clear.

· Registered
1,881 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. Its add though, perhaps the sand is too light? Whenever I clean it, light grains always seem to come up when the water hits. I'll try cleaning again today, this time with some big bins and a hose. ONCE AND FOR ALL!

· Registered
2,429 Posts
insomnia said:
Thanks. Its add though, perhaps the sand is too light? Whenever I clean it, light grains always seem to come up when the water hits. I'll try cleaning again today, this time with some big bins and a hose. ONCE AND FOR ALL!
[snapback]879179[/snapback]​
thats what sand does
i just added sand into my 60g its really not that hard. i cleaned it in my backyard took me an hour

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.