Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, you are going, no no not from the wild, they have parasites, etc...but what about from a hatchery? Safer? I have a hatchery right by me that I can get bluegill, channel cats, bass, sturgeon, stripers...any ideas on the danger levels here compared to a wild caught fish? I'd love to plunk in some large fish occasionally as a treat, but I don't like the risk associated...

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Well most large fish hatcheries are basically just like a bunch of cement pool ponds exposed to the outdoors, so yes, they are still prone to have parasites and diseases. Maybe even more, seeing they are kept in smaller confinements in the hatchery rather than in the wild. I wouldn't reccomend it.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
129 Posts
taylorhedrich said:
Well most large fish hatcheries are basically just like a bunch of cement pool ponds exposed to the outdoors, so yes, they are still prone to have parasites and diseases. Maybe even more, seeing they are kept in smaller confinements in the hatchery rather than in the wild. I wouldn't reccomend it.
~Taylor~
[snapback]940833[/snapback]​
i agree with Taylor ..ive also heard that hatcherys put alot of junk like steriods in there water ,which can be harmfull for your Ps

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, good point...smaller body of water, overpopulation, higher chance of parasites...

I think I'll stick to a bluegill from the lake once a month for a treat...seems the safest out of everything

1 - 4 of 4 Posts