Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Don't f*ck with the fairy.
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not to panic but... EEP! THEY HAD EGGS! ALREADY! I introduced these two gorgeous little gold rams on saturday night, and today... not even a WEEK LATER they've already had a TON-O-EGGS!!!!

Ummmmm now what? I'm gonna need a separate tank for fry, right? is a 10g enough? When do i separate... HOW do i separate?! there are cory cats in the tank with the rams (the rams are being good protective lil parents and have them in this very secluded corner where i can barely see them).... do i need to worry about this? how long until i can offer them for sale or get them to a LFS?

oh, btw... here is.... I think this is a VERY deflated momma hanging over the eggs
lol rchan you were right, she WAS chubby. lol.

·
VENOM
4,689 Posts
Yes your 10 gal tank will be enough for them.

Just wait until they are free swimming to seperate them.

You could use a net or gravel vaccume to transfer them

·
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm not sure if this batch is gonna make it. the parents seem more interested with chasing each other than fending the cories off the nest.

·
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rchan11 said:
How about putting him in a breeder net?
[snapback]851835[/snapback]​
yeah i don't have a breeder net.... i wasn't exactly prepared for this so soon. and anyhow, there are FOUR cories. three 1.5" paleatus and one 2" nepoensis.

I mean i guess its okay if this fails, i don't really NEED ram fry as is, but at the same time, it'd be nifty to see if it works, y'know?

·
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whoa. i take it back. the momma fish is IN CHARGE. she just kicked the butt of one of the paleatus and they're bigger than her (mass wise).

... what about lighting? on? off? dimmed?

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
If you've a spare pump and heater, put the corys in a bucket. You can always sell the fry back to the LFS or I'm sure alot of the P-Fury members would love to have one.

·
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rchan11 said:
If you've a spare pump and heater, put the corys in a bucket. You can always sell the fry back to the LFS or I'm sure alot of the P-Fury members would love to have one.
[snapback]851843[/snapback]​
i've a spare filter. thats abooooout it. and my room is COLD so thinking they'd be just okay without a heater is a definate no, considering the tank they're in is about 84* right now.

oh, no bucket either. this is college living my friend.... i've got a 1 gallon milk jug that i use to refill the tank. thats all.

·
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/rams.htm okay this site says maybe a light as they're notorious egg eaters? they also say put paper over the tank but honestly they've got a highly secluded corner. so i'm prolly just gonna turn out all the lights and hope for the best. gah i really gotta get to bed. its 2:30am and i have to get up at 7am to drive home by 8am..... uuuuuuugh.

oh. food. liquifry okay? pulverized flakes?

·
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, there are still eggs there. no idea if the numbers are reduced or not, but mom & dad seem to have settled their differences and are BOTH valiently guarding the nest.

what the heck am I gonna do with a hundred or so baby ram fry for the next feew weeks? lol.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Tinkerbelle said:
well, there are still eggs there. no idea if the numbers are reduced or not, but mom & dad seem to have settled their differences and are BOTH valiently guarding the nest.

what the heck am I gonna do with a hundred or so baby ram fry for the next feew weeks? lol.
[snapback]851953[/snapback]​
you can always move the cories into the ten gallon the fry are going in....then put the fry in the 1 gallon, move the cories back to the larger tank and put the fry into the 10 gallon....?
Buy some plastic like 50 gallon...bucket like things for like $5-10 at walmart. That's for the fry.....(you could get smaller too....that's if you want to grow them to like 1-2 inches....)

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
CONGRATS ON THE FRY.

·
Registered
24,433 Posts
Here's my honest opinion;

relax.

I have had this happen with more cichlids than I can remember. You have a pair, they will breed again. Often the first or second breeding bout something goes wrong (they're young parents), so be ready for that.

Also, you can let them raise them up. Separating them is for getting maximum fry output, which you aren't ready for yet. Watching them raise their fry up is one of the coolest things for an aquarist to watch. You'll know when they're getting tired of the kids. Also, they help feeding them at these small sizes.

In summary, I'd say just watch and enjoy and learn from these guys. Congrats!

·
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
acestro said:
Here's my honest opinion;

relax.
I have had this happen with more cichlids than I can remember. You have a pair, they will breed again. Often the first or second breeding bout something goes wrong (they're young parents), so be ready for that.

Also, you can let them raise them up. Separating them is for getting maximum fry output, which you aren't ready for yet. Watching them raise their fry up is one of the coolest things for an aquarist to watch. You'll know when they're getting tired of the kids. Also, they help feeding them at these small sizes.

In summary, I'd say just watch and enjoy and learn from these guys. Congrats!
[snapback]852121[/snapback]​
.....whew

that is THE BEST advice i've gotten yet. I honestly was NOT ready for these guys to have babies. one or two survivors is really all I can handle at the moment. I think i'm gonna go with letting the parents raise them... They're doin a pretty good job thus far.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts