Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question i live realy close to an ocean and was wondering if it would be okay for my piranhas to feed them a shiner or a flat fish or somting, if its ok i will tape it and put it on the video galleries

· Registered
18,153 Posts
piranhatom said:
also i was wondering if an ocean fish could live in my ten gallon feader tank if say i added 2 table spoons of salt for 5 gallons, would it make the water marine
[snapback]836911[/snapback]​
Don't think so

If you want to feed s/w fish (which is no problem - plenty of people feed their piranha's stuff like tuna, cod, whiting etc. bought in a supermarket), fillet them, cut them up, and put them in the freezer for storage. Don't feed live (or dead whole) s/w fish.

*Moved to Feeding and Nutrition*

· Registered
18,153 Posts
piranhatom said:
like i realy want to feed them live is there a chance that it could kill my pirnahas
[snapback]836937[/snapback]​
Well, you never know how coldwater saltwater fish react in a tropical freshwater environement, or how the tank's chemistry/ecosystem would react to the introduction of those fish.
More importantly, can you be sure these saltwater fish you catch are 100% disease- and parasite-free? Nope, you can't!
One of the problems is that should something bad happen, it might not become appearant during the first few days or even weeks - and it might be too late once you do find out.

You have been warned, but in the end it's up to you to decide.
I know I wouldn't do it.

If you want to feed live fish, buy a couple of feeder fish instead...

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im thinking about keeping them for a while in a ten gallon with no heater and putting lots of salt in the water to make it kindoff marinish to make sure there not sick, i went to the beach today and there was no chinese fisherman so i couldent get any fish beacuse i dont kno where my fishing pole is. normaly the fisherman just give me a dozen shiners for free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.