Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I noticed my alpha Red Belly sometimes gets double teamed by the two smaller piranhas. The pecking order is quite unique. They're trying to top my alpha(the leader) from being top of the tank.

Just seeing if anyone else have seen this?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I have a 4 inch cariba that takes bites out of the 9 inch piraya's tail fin every once in a while.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I have two that think they are Alpha Cariba, they keep everybody on the sides of them and dont allow any fish between them, its like they try to heard the fish to their side

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
I believe is normal!

In my experience smaller Ps can rule the Kingdom too!

I believe is funny how character is more important than size!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I cant say.. my old lazy eyed Alpha used to run the tanks, then one day he got ganged up and stayed in one corner. Then the reign of power would switch back to him. Trip..

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
My oscars do this, I don't have p's yet.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I have not had experience observing alpha P's, I guess I never paid much attention
but I was wondering if being the "alpha" is due largely to size or aggressivness?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
so far my alpha Ps are very aggressive and pushy. Usually size doesnt matter. My alpha Cariba is 9.5" and the two fish that are bigger are much bigger. If you have an alpha P, it is usually obvious, they are the jerk of the crew

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
Xenon said:
I have not had experience observing alpha P's, I guess I never paid much attention
but I was wondering if being the "alpha" is due largely to size or aggressivness?
I dont' know If anyone else thinks of this analogy, but I
look at pygo's as sort of a wolfpack and as the pack
experiences each other and becomes comfortable, then
a 'leader' will arise hence the ALPHA. I believe this will
happen over time and be determined by the amount of p's
and the time they have been together. Another question
arises: will the Alpha be male or female? or does it matter?
As far as the determination being size or aggressiveness,
I agree those two criteria should be met to gain Alpha status.
One more thought crosses my mind as to what the non-alpha fish
do to contribute to the shoal. Is it a constant power struggle?
Do the non-alphas try to gain status or rank? Some good questions
to ponder. The observations by different hobbyists in their home aquarium
limits the validity of the answers to those questions. But those observations
are the catalyst to curiosity and keeps us intrigued by Piranhas.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice anology traumatic

My alpha piranha also is not the biggest in the tank. I am not quite sure if mine is a female or male yet. But shoaling is fine, they follow him when they shoal since hes the alpha. But they always compete over food and try to stuff there selves. He is the hardest worker when it comes to eating big feeders though. He never stops chasing down that feeder until he gets a grasp on it, and he actually comes back and gives some to the rest of the pack.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
The idea of an alpha fish is stretching it as any of the piranas will display aggression regardless of size or perceived status by humans.

The simple rule is they form schools of similar size fish. The larger fish will tend to keep anything away from its behind and so will the others.

Try not to stereotype the fish more than just normal behavior.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
this was good reading .i have made some observations of late and will post them at a later time as the set up i have as in the fish is fairly new to eachother
dixon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts