Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am getting a 55 g tank in about a week or so. and i was going to just move my oscar into it along with a couple more. however, it has come to my knowledge that a 55g is only enough room for about one oscar, and two if you want to push it. so...now im looking into piranhas. i know very little about them. how many could i put in a 55g tank. i also have many other ?'s. all the information you have for a beginner would be greatly appreciated!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Hello and welcome to the board. You have found a board with a wealth of knowledge. If you are just starting out, you can put 3 P's in that tank. Things might be alittle cramped though.

As for info, the best thing I can tell you to do is use the search option and spend a few hours reading. That is by far the best way to learn. There is so much info stored in thousands of threads.

Then come back and post individual questions. That will be much more effecient.

~Dj

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
3 piranha will do well in a 55 gallon tank
, but eventually (if u keep them long enough) even a 55 gallon will be too small for (3) 10 " piranha

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Oscars get pretty big indeed. I would toss 3 piranhas in there if that is waht you are interested in, If you still want to talk cichlids, then talk to me :
:

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
JesseD said:
3 piranha will do well in a 55 gallon tank
, but eventually (if u keep them long enough) even a 55 gallon will be too small for (3) 10 " piranha
yes, you would be better off with a 50 gallon breader tank, its much wider

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Size and doing the math depends on every aspects when combining fish in a tank. Depending on the size of all the fish you've stated, they can all live in a 55 gal temporarily.

A huge Oscar can make a meal off baby RBs. While having them all close to the same size might work for some time, but would most def cause casualties in the long run.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
No more than 3 Ps for life in your 55g, you can try 4 is they are little upgrading when they get 6-7" or so...!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I doubt they would get 10" in a 55. But they will be fighting for territory. I would do it, since it would take a while for them to get say 8" anyway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oscars grow very fast and I wouldn't put more than 1 in a 55. You could put 3 P's in the 55 but only you can decide what fish YOU want. If it's P's then you are at the right site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts