Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kyle's Mom Is A Big Fat Bxtch! IMO
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I will spare all the side stories and details of my horrible past 24 hours. I have a tank that used to have sand. I took the sand out. I did a water change. I turned my tank equipment back on and badabing! One of my AC110s is making an ungodly noise. My guess is that some sand has made its way into the motor or something.

Question. Is there any way to fix this or is this filter fucked? If I have to replace ANOTHER filter, I will hate the day that I decided to go with sand substrate. Step by step, detailed instructions on what to do, how to do it, what parts I remove, what parts I clean, how to know if its permanently fucked...all this is good information and is heavily appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Have you tried just rinsing the whole thing out with clean water impeller area included then turning it back on? I have had snails get into the impeller on my ac and make some crazy noises..Rinsed it good with clean hot water filled it back up and it was as good as new sounding.Worth a try.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Basically take the motor off the case and remove the impellar. Rinse the well that the impellar sits in and inspect for damage and wear. Reassemble and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Basically take the motor off the case and remove the impellar. Rinse the well that the impellar sits in and inspect for damage and wear. Reassemble and see what happens.

thats exactly what i had to do with my AC after using sand. Get a cotton swab to get to the bottom and pick up anything thats not suppose to be in the motor part where the impeller site. Make sure to clean the magnet part of the impeller. I noticed mine was all scratched up when i pulled it out. Its the same thing i had to do to also quiet down my powerhead.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
clean out the motor..

·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im such a retard. Ive broken filters because theyve pissed me off for being so noisy. What a waste of money. Im about to clean my filter out right now...thanks a billion everybody.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have sand and AC's and on some of them after a year or so, if the sand/whatever remains in the impeller well long enough, it will grind/scratch grooves into the impeller magnet itself as mentioned above. as these get worse, the impeller will spin out of balance, creating an ungodly racket through the vibration. first try cleaning it, it'll probably do the trick. however if you ever notice cleaning isn't fixing the problem and the impeller looks really worn, just pick up a replacement impeller. For the AC 70's they're like $8, and I imagine for a 110 it would run in the $12 range. Much cheaper than buying a new filter, and trust me the return to silence (hearing running water instead of a filter that sounds like its thrown an axl rod) it worth every penny.

·
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took everybodys advice. First, I tried powerwashing the housing out a couple times, really well. That didnt do the trick, so I bought a new impeller and voila!! Good as new. Damn I love this site! Without you guys, I never would have known that replacement impellers were even an option. I swear Ive never seen them for sale in a store, but I went to this LFS that seems to carry that kind of stuff, and sho 'nuff, there it was. Cost me like $17, but worth every penny at this point in life.

Now, does anybody know if I can buy a replacement elbow? I broke mine out of anger when my last filter started making crazy noises. I figure I can avoid having to buy a new filter if I can get some replacement parts...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
at my lfs store they have almost every single repair part for the AC line. You could check dr. fost and smith i know they carry alot of replacement parts for the AC filters.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts