Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2012 Is the year the World ENDS!!!&#33
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading that some feeders may stop or slow down the growth of my P's. That a NO NO for me. I will no longer feed my P's feeders unless I go out of town. I went to the market and picked up some smelt, shrimp, and cooked cut up octopus. My P's loved the smelt
The smelt was guted and cleaned. I'm thinking of throwing the shrimp in raw with the shell, and the octupus is kind of cooked. What do you peeps think? Are any of my dishes a bad idea
I just want to give my P's the best food and if feeders are bad then I dont want to go down that road. One question, if feeders (gold fish) are not good source of food then why do LFS sell it?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
sadboy1981 said:
I've been reading that some feeders may stop or slow down the growth of my P's. That a NO NO for me. I will no longer feed my P's feeders unless I go out of town. I went to the market and picked up some smelt, shrimp, and cooked cut up octopus. My P's loved the smelt
The smelt was guted and cleaned. I'm thinking of throwing the shrimp in raw with the shell, and the octupus is kind of cooked. What do you peeps think? Are any of my dishes a bad idea
I just want to give my P's the best food and if feeders are bad then I dont want to go down that road. One question, if feeders (gold fish) are not good source of food then why do LFS sell it?
[snapback]927027[/snapback]​
correct, thewy contain a chemical known as thiamese or something like that that stunts their growth. Any ways your list sounds good, but it would be better if they were raw. I don't have experience with octupos but i feed my killers raw shrimp, tilapia fillet, raw catfish nuggets, and the occasional feeder (goldfish, koi, ghostshrimp, red tin foil bars, tiger barbs, whatever i can get cheap) usually only once a month for fish and about twice a month for ghostshrimp.

·
Registered
430 Posts
thx for the info too hahah..I guess i'll be feedin my P's 1 feeder a month then!! hehe i got plent of time to get them nice and fat then!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
fung88 said:
thx for the info too hahah..I guess i'll be feedin my P's 1 feeder a month then!! hehe i got plent of time to get them nice and fat then!
[snapback]927209[/snapback]​
No problem guys, just to give you heads up some people are totally against any live feeding but to me i like to keep their insticts alive by providing a good menu and a treat every once in a while, this is just my opinion but my fish are extremely happy. so i have no complaints. trust me they grow in no time i got mine @ 2" and now they are pushing 5-6".
if you guys wanna see pics look in the pics thread and look for "updated pics of killer and the three blades 3/9/05.

·
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bad thiamese!!! That's it. The smelt and shrimp are raw, then only thing cooked is the octopus. I dont want to spend to much on this so I guess I will be heading to my local bait shop to stock up on food. I also will only throw in feeders a few times a month. I do this as a form of treat for my P's. If only I had know about the growth thing earlier, I would have never of feed them the feeders. But I guess live and learn.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
the goldfish can stunt your growth, not definate. My buddy grew his redbelly out to 13 inches feeding just off feeders. They are gonna get big dude...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Up until last week I fed my piranhas only goldfish and red roseys- they seem to grow fast off of them...but now that I have found this site and done some reading I am mainly feeding them shrimp. They will still get feeders though, they seems to like them- Here is a couple

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
nothing horribly wrong with feeders as a treat but quarintine and just once in a while. my fish havent

had a live fish in about a year now, mainly cause i have no spare tank to isolate em and im deathly

afraid of introduceing a disease

·
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always quarintine my feeders but I dont want to slow the growth. I still use it as a treat but not as often as I use to.

·
Let's split up gang!
3,693 Posts
I usually feed mine shrimp, squid, earthworms, beefheart (once in a while), and the occasional feeder.

·
Registered
656 Posts
When my are big enough i wont want to feed them to many feeders.... im to scared for them to get something and end up kicking the bucket on me

·
Registered
880 Posts
i feed mine silversides.. whole fish but not live. they love em and there is no growth inhibiting chemicals and no diseases. i got em at petco. i will be finding different fish to feed em though. i tried halibut and they didnt like it. hmm. i read it is good to feed em whole fish with bones scalres and guts an d all.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts