Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, my tank has been registering low nitrite levels for over a month. Hmmm, I wonder how this could be considering I have a wet/dry? I feed them once a day for fear they will tear each other up. There are five five inch rpb in my 75g. I think it may be even registering trace amounts of ammonia also. I just started fertilizing with CO2, I wonder if that has anything to do with it? HMMMMMMM!!!?

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Many hobbiests use CO2 enrichment so their aquatic plants will flourish. The problem is CO2 naturally lowers pH because as it dissolves, it forms carbonic acid. This affects the water parameter in 2 ways... 1) The KH will drop because it is needed to buffer the acid. 2) The pH will drop (dependent on the KH of the water) because of the additional acid being produced.

The overall health of the nitrifiers is dependent on a number of things (temp, pH, KH and food source). If KH levels drop below 60 ppm (mg/L) the biofilter starts to suffer and you will see a spike in ammonia/nitrites. Also, at low pH (around 5.5), nitrifiers start to die off. Uncontrolled use of CO2 without knowing these 2 parameters can lead to a pH crash that will kill your biofilter and ultimately your fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.