Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Rodgers' Aquatics
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have 4 Tanks Set Up At The Moment. A 200 Gallon That Has Been Going For Quite Some Time And Has A pH7.2 - 7.4 And The Nitrites Are 0PPM. But I Also Have A 75 Gallon Tank That I Just Set Up Like 1 Week Ago With Sand On The Bottom And 2 Whisper 30-60 Filters And That Tanks pH7.4 And The Nitrite Level Is 5.0PPM!!! I Think I'm Going To Kill My Wolffish, Should I Be Going To The Pet Store Instead Of Creating This Topic?

Both Of My Other 2 Tanks Are Fine Except For All Of My Tanks Are Between 7.2 And 7.4 pH Levels When Most Of My Fish Prefer 6.5-6.8 Like Piranhas What Should I Do?!?!

· Rodgers' Aquatics
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, I just put a tablespoon of salt in it, What do i need for better filtration? one of those 30-60 filters comes with the 55 gallon tank from Walmart so i figured if 1 is good for 55, then 2 would be good for another 20 gallons in my 75? anyway what's your opinion?

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
Actually the whispers might work ok on second thought, they're not really great filters but if you watch your levels closely you'll know if you have a filtration problem. If the whispers aren't enough I'd recommend an AC500 with some ceramic rings in it for bio filtration, but then whispers might be adequate anyway. The ACs are cheap and are the best designed hang over back filters on the market so that's something you should keep in mind if you need to get any extra filtration on there.

· Rodgers' Aquatics
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had it posted in water chemistry...and no responses for like 15 minutes, and i knew all you smart guys hang out in here so i came here!!!! oh yeah and yay! my fish wont be killed! weeee!

· Registered
639 Posts
elTwitcho said:
Most fish stores should have them, bigalsonline.com is an option for mail ordering if you can't find them, but I doubt you'll have trouble
[snapback]870857[/snapback]​
As a note, the LFS (Local Fish Store) will rip you off as far as the price is concerned. I would recommend ordering online if you want to save some $. My LFS sales AC500's for $55-$60 where-as online is aprox. $35-$40. In fact, here's a link and they're on sale ($33.99). You may find them cheaper else-where, but this will get you started.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Edit:
Faded said:
you stalkin me skelator?

LoL
Just a coincidence.:laugh:

· Hello Everybody!
1,647 Posts
NitrItes will kill fish. Even though salt will help with nitrite poisoning it does not mean that they are 100% safe. You need to do water changes to dilute nitrite concentration and put some filter material from your established tank into the new filters.

· Registered
72 Posts
Another suggestion is to add 5 gallons of water from your 200g tank to the 75g after a water change. The "old" water form the 200g will help introduce more nitrifying bacteria to the 75g. And if you have the same type of gravel in each tank, I would add some gravel too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.