Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still have high nitrites. The nitrates are rising but the nitrites aren't going down. I added another filter a week ago to increase airation. The fish show no signs of stress. I think maybe I should trim feeding down even more. Not sure. It feels like its taking 1,000,000 years.

· Registered
785 Posts
Hey azeral26, the bacteria that consumes nitrItes does take awhile to establish it self. I hope you are using salt to relive nitrIte poisoning. I know when I was cycling my 55 US gallon tank it took more than 30 days for the nitrItes to reach zero ppm.

G

·
What level are the nitrites at, I thought you'd be cycled by now. I wonder if the bacteria in your Bio-spira was deceased.

And what readings are the 75 currently at? If the nitrites are high in the smaller tank it may be worthwhile swapping fish with the 75.

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been adding salt every water change. Well enough salt to replace what I've taken out anyways =)

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Mellor44 said:
What level are the nitrites at, I thought you'd be cycled by now. I wonder if the bacteria in your Bio-spira was deceased.

And what readings are the 75 currently at? If the nitrites are high in the smaller tank it may be worthwhile swapping fish with the 75.
[snapback]838293[/snapback]​
Nitrites in the small tank are 5.0. In the 75 0 nirites and 0 nitrates, trace amonia.

G

·
You might be best moving you p's to the 75 now, if you can take along some media too. If you are getting nitrates in the smaller tank then you do have both kinds of bacteria. They may have to cope with some more ammonia and nitrite readings but they won't be very high with little fish in the 75. If the feeders were removed and put in the smaller tank that would be less bio load.

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mellor44 said:
You might be best moving you p's to the 75 now, if you can take along some media too. If you are getting nitrates in the smaller tank then you do have both kinds of bacteria. They may have to cope with some more ammonia and nitrite readings but they won't be very high with little fish in the 75. If the feeders were removed and put in the smaller tank that would be less bio load.
[snapback]838316[/snapback]​
Hrmmm yea I think I'll transfer them. The p's have been exposed to high nitrite readings for far to long.

G

·
Try and take all the filter media across if you can. Removing the feeders and putting them in the smaller tank will not do them any good but you need to keep the bio load down in the 75. The 75 will have gathered enough bacteria to cope with the ammonia and nitrite before they get to dangerous levels. If you take all the media over it shouldn't take long. Just make sure when feeding to fully clean up after them. Try not to leave a scrap, so not to add to ammonia levels.

Try not to just dump them in the new tank. Introduce them, the temp won't be exactly the same. The PH may be unless you have driftwood in one of them. A sudden shock of differing temp and PH should be avoided.

I believe the conditions will be less harsh for them in the 75. Got your 90 yet!? Plans for it?

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mellor44 said:
Try and take all the filter media across if you can. Removing the feeders and putting them in the smaller tank will not do them any good but you need to keep the bio load down in the 75. The 75 will have gathered enough bacteria to cope with the ammonia and nitrite before they get to dangerous levels. If you take all the media over it shouldn't take long. Just make sure when feeding to fully clean up after them. Try not to leave a scrap, so not to add to ammonia levels.

Try not to just dump them in the new tank. Introduce them, the temp won't be exactly the same. The PH may be unless you have driftwood in one of them. A sudden shock of differing temp and PH should be avoided.

I believe the conditions will be less harsh for them in the 75. Got your 90 yet!? Plans for it?
[snapback]838325[/snapback]​
Phew that stressed me out more than them.

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
azeral26 said:
Phew that stressed me out more than them.
[snapback]838380[/snapback]​
I'm sweeting bullets. I could'nt get all of the feeders out of the old tank. I left 1 tiger barb, 2 little sword tails, and one black molly. I had two filters running on the small tank so I took the oldest one and added it to the 75. I also took another plant from the small tank.

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
azeral26 said:
I'm sweeting bullets. I could'nt get all of the feeders out of the old tank. I left 1 tiger barb, 2 little sword tails, and one black molly. I had two filters running on the small tank so I took the oldest one and added it to the 75. I also took another plant from the small tank.
[snapback]838383[/snapback]​
Now all fish and the owner are stressed out

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made one side of the 75 look like their old tank, red bandana over the light and same decor. Once I did that they came out and swam around. 2 of them have anyways. The temp was the same in both tanks.

G

·
I don't think you need to worry about the salt immediately, if at all. I don't think, providing you don't overfeed, the nitrite will reach 5 again. But you could slowly start adding some salt if it does rise again.

It will take them a while to adjust I bet. There growth rate will shoot up now. Give them a few months you will start being a little more cautious with them
!

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mellor44 said:
I don't think you need to worry about the salt immediately, if at all. I don't think, providing you don't overfeed. The nitrite will reach 5 again. But you could slowly start adding some salt if it does rise again.

It will take them a while to adjust I bet. There growth rate will shoot up now. Give them a few months you will start being a little more cautious with them
!
[snapback]838409[/snapback]​
They will never be moved again. The tank is in my basement, very low traffic. It should be cool.

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They love it in there, this is the first time I've seen them group up. In the small tank they did'nt have a chance to swim around together.

G

·
They tend to group more when they are a little afraid and at feedings. New surroundings, probably a little scared. They will be a lot happier in there though granted!

· Captain P
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
azeral26 said:
They love it in there, this is the first time I've seen them group up. In the small tank they did'nt have a chance to swim around together.
[snapback]838790[/snapback]​
They are on constant patrol. They come out from behind the weeds and swim around the tank. Then hide and repeat over and over. Now I have seen first hand why you should give them a big tank. The little buggers love it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.