Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...as some of you may know, I've been having a high nitrate problem with my 100 gallon tank. Well, I've done a 50% water change and taken out the gravel and did some major vacuuming. I later tested for nitrates and it still shows red(80-160 ppm).
Damn! What gives??? I'm thinking now that maybe I have a defective test kit. Is that possible? The one I have is from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
hahaha, good luck with high nitrates.

ive had them for a while now, they are extremely hard to bring down im my opinion.
i think you need to stop whatever is causing the high nitrates then do water changes.

and when you do the water changes you will need to do many, do about 1/3 - 50% every other day for about a 10 days, then yuo shuold notice a slight improvment. its insane! you may also want to check that there is no nitrate in the tap water you are using to fill your tank. and remember to condition your water each time doing a water change!

and good luck.

you may also want to try adding plants, as i heard they help by eating the nitrAtes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the AF test also and it is very hard to tell what level you are at! 60-160

With that test you have to make sure you follow the directions exactly when adding drops and shaking bottles etc........

if not the test will mess up and give you a false reading!

If you are doing everything correct maybe your test is bad and I would go pick up a new one!Anything Possible!

Back when I first had p's I was doing 15-20 % water changes and never new about nitrates and I was not changing enough water!
Well I learned on the forum about checking them and did and they were 160+++ppm

Well it took me many numerous water changes to get them down to below 20ppm. Then once you get in a schedule of changing enough water you will never have the problem again.
I keep my 20-30 or less below 40 is fine!
Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.