Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 4 rb's about 3 inches or so in a 75. I typically do two small water changes a week and that keeps my nitrate down. Or so i thought. The last couple of days i noticed the two smaller of the 4 acting weird swimming in constant circles and turning sideways and slamming into the gravel. They hit it hard too and keep doing it. Whats really weird is that one of them his lower jaw is just hanging down and he never closes it. Never seen this before. So i checked the params again and i got a very high nitrate level, i believe its around 60 couldn't tell for sure because of the liquid tests with the reds being so close in color. So i spent yesterday doing three massive water changes and managed to get it down to about 10 wich should be ok. There still acting weird as hell though. Could they possibly be sick, is their anything i can do for them or just ride it out? I realized why i wasn't getting the right nitrate readings is because i don't think i was shaking up the bottle long enough mix it properly along with the test tube as well (note to self!!) Any ideas would be great!

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
So I have 4 rb's about 3 inches or so in a 75. I typically do two small water changes a week and that keeps my nitrate down. Or so i thought. The last couple of days i noticed the two smaller of the 4 acting weird swimming in constant circles and turning sideways and slamming into the gravel. They hit it hard too and keep doing it. Whats really weird is that one of them his lower jaw is just hanging down and he never closes it. Never seen this before. So i checked the params again and i got a very high nitrate level, i believe its around 60 couldn't tell for sure because of the liquid tests with the reds being so close in color. So i spent yesterday doing three massive water changes and managed to get it down to about 10 wich should be ok. There still acting weird as hell though. Could they possibly be sick, is their anything i can do for them or just ride it out? I realized why i wasn't getting the right nitrate readings is because i don't think i was shaking up the bottle long enough mix it properly along with the test tube as well (note to self!!) Any ideas would be great!
60ppm is high but not to cause that. What about ur other tests? Do you have any uneaten food in ur tank? Was your tank completely cycled?

·
Registered
56 Posts
other water params are am- 0.0 nitrite- 0.0 ph is about 7.3 and always has been steady. The gravel is extremely clean as i vacumed it 3 times yesterday to make sure. The nitrate could have been higher than 60 like i said its hard to tell the difference on that card. Tank is completely cycled has been running for about 6 months

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
60ppm is not that high for nitrates.
Certainly not enough to cause a reaction in your fish.

Internal parasites can trigger the symptoms you've described.... "Drunk acting" fish.

Have you been feeding goldfish or something that could lead to internal parasites?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never fed any live fish since they were babies nothing but different types of white fish fillets so it shouldn't be anything like that. I'm clueless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts