Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL,

obviusly being from the uk we dont realy see much NFL on the tv, but the last few months i have been really getting in to it and watchin it on sky sports...............

BUT i dont understand some of the lingo ie.............

whats the differnce between first and goal and first and down etc etc could someone please help by explaining some of the lingo for me................

miami dolphins rock by the way................

dez

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
First and goal means that offence is close enough to the endzone that they can't pick up a first down without getting into the endzone and scoring a touchdown. It's usually only when the team is at the opposition's 10 yard line or closer - unless they had an offensive penalty called on them which set them back a few yards

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
First and goal means that offence is close enough to the endzone that they can't pick up a first down without getting into the endzone and scoring a touchdown. It's usually only when the team is at the opposition's 10 yard line or closer - unless they had an offensive penalty called on them which set them back a few yards
Wrong.....

First and goal is when the quarterback can only hand off the ball...and no pass's are allowed....unless.....he slaps the center on the ass before the play clock gets to 10 seconds and they are in a wishbone formation. If he does slap the center on the ass...then the tight-end will go in motion and as he runs past the quarterback...he is required to give 2 raps on the quarterbacks helmet. Those 2 raps are important because one...it lets the fullback know he needs to get in a 3 point stance and two...it signals to the kicker to begin to warm up. Then the quarterback gives a pinch to the left cheek of the right guard and the ball is hiked...not to the quarterback...but a direct snap to the half back....who must then spin 3 times and decide if he will run or pitch the ball back to the quarterback...if he does pitch the ball to the quarterback he is required to lay down and play dead. From this point...it gets a little strange

I know it sounds complicated...but after a year or two it will all make sense.

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
GG that was like reading Bill Bryson explaining the rules of cricket.

(considering hes one of the funnies authors ever you did a good job)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Typical lounge responce. GG your only compounding his state of confusion.

Wrong.....

First and goal is when the quarterback can only hand off the ball...and no pass's are allowed....unless.....he slaps the center on the ass before the play clock gets to 10 seconds and they are in a wishbone formation. If he does slap the center on the ass...then the tight-end will go in motion and as he runs past the quarterback...he is required to give 2 raps on the quarterbacks helmet. Those 2 raps are important because one...it lets the fullback know he needs to get in a 3 point stance and two...it signals to the kicker to begin to warm up. Then the quarterback gives a pinch to the left cheek of the right guard and the ball is hiked...not to the quarterback...but a direct snap to the half back....who must then spin 3 times and decide if he will run or pitch the ball back to the quarterback...if he does pitch the ball to the quarterback he is required to lay down and play dead. From this point...it gets a little strange

I know it sounds complicated...but after a year or two it will all make sense.
[/quote]

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
so are there any more lingos or terms that i need to learn, cant remember them all off hand.................

i think the firt and goal one is sorted,

so what about first and down??

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
so are there any more lingos or terms that i need to learn, cant remember them all off hand.................

i think the firt and goal one is sorted,

so what about first and down??
there is no such thing as first AND down. there is a first (as well as second, third and fourth) down.

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers GG ill give it a good read, now thats alot to read man, looks like im gonna havea busy evening.....................

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
and the doplhins definetly dont "rock" by the way
wait wait wait wait...who beat Chicago the first time this season ? I can't remember..

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i watching them against detroit the other day, and they kicked ass,

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
the dolphins did!.... good for them, but that still doesnt mean "they rock"---
Yeah I agree - Now the Colts ROCK !

Don't I feel like a f*cking dumbass of the year for benching Addai on my fantasy team this week..

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
i watching them against detroit the other day, and they kicked ass,
Detroit isn't good either.

It's not too complicated to understand.

Starts out as

First Down and 10 yards. The offensive team runs a play where they try to get to (or past) the ten yards. If they can't get those 10 yards, it goes to Second Down and (whatever is left) yards. Then third, then fourth down.

Easiest way to think of it

Say its First Down and 10 yards. The offense runs a play which gains 4 yards. It would be now Second Down and 6 yards (to go). (Next play) If the offense gets those 6 yards it starts over at First and 10. Or if the offense doesn't get those 6 yards, it will go to third down and how many yards are left.

Its easiest to just watch. Its repetitive so you will pick up the idea real quickly.

·
Indianapolis Football
12,187 Posts
I think best way to learn is by playing Madden...

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cheers guys, i think i might buy it for the x-box 360 or somwthing

·
Danger
5,657 Posts
im from the uk and got into nfl last year. i get all the rules and stuff, just keep watchihn as many games as possible and all the rules will be explained thru the commentry usually!

colts are playing so good atm they are kicking ass.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts