Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive jst cleaned my tank and filterd the water and put some stress coat in it!!

How long will it be before i can put my baby rb's inn and they will be safe,cause i would like to put them in a.s.a.p but don't no if i can or not???

and need advise a.s.a.p!!

thank you rob c

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Do you know what cycling is? You have to let your tank cycle with goldfish or fish that you expect to die or be eaten. What this does is builds up bacteria in your tank. This bacteria is what maintains your tank. It converts ammonia to nitrates. This is why you change your water. Nothing breaks down nitrates easily. If you don't want to use fish you can use the bottled bacteria. Your fish store should have it for about 10-15 bucks. Its called Bio-spira, but there are other brands. The best way is still the cheap fish cycle.

Once your tank is cycled it will be ready. You don't really need anything fancy like stress coat except for dechlorinator. It should take anywhere from a week to a month.

The way you tell if your tank is done cycling is to check for nitrates and nitrites. You can also check and see if ammonia is gone after a week or so. If the ammonia is no longer present you should be fine. That should be the basic concepts for cycling. Hope this helps, Kevin

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I think soldat pretty much covered the basics for cycling.

As for your baby RB's, I wouldn't put them in unless you feel like doing a whole lot of water changes. The last thing those fish need is to have to go through the cycle.

Another option would be to get something like Amquel and pour it in the water, that is about the only way the fish will survive through your cycle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts