Piranhas Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
I actually ordered a filter from www.petsolutions.com Their prices were pretty good. I'll let you know how things went when I get it. also Big Al's is a popular place, you could check ebay. Read the first pinned topic on here in the tank and equipment. It's like 8 pages of what everyone else uses, it may give you some ideas. Different people swear by different styles or companys. I don't know anything about the whisper filters. My lfs swears by aquaclear. Then again alot of people love the "bio-wheels" on emperor or penguin filters.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Thanks RainyDayze. I just ordered an AquaClear 30/150 power filter to add to my Whisper 20. Today i did another 10% water change and i have the most debris floating in the water that i have ever seen. None of it seems to be going away. My filter seems to be putting out the same flow of water as always and i don't see why there should be so much gunk in the water... if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!! thanks.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
sorry there is no p's in the pick.. They like to hide in the middle of the driftwood when someone gets too close. And the flash a few times before scared them real bad!!... oh well. hope you like it.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
THANKS! ya i know i live in a dorm at Ohio State University. So 20 gallons is as big as i can go for the next 10 weeks until i am back home. Yea i have been doing frequent water changes.. but i think that the new filter i got is going to do wonders!

personally, i'd keep the whisper and add a fluval 204. it provides a ton of surface area for bacteria to build itself. you dont have to run it at full blast, but you could simulate a river in that tank with the powerhead, it would create a good current for a 20. turn the valves halfway down though and you'll be fine. also, your water will be CRYSTAL clear. it'll look(and smell) like spring water. lol. 3 reds is tough though. you're going to have fights when they reach 5"+. and it certainly cannot house them all full sized. for now, i'd keep them together, but after another month or two, i'd try to sell them. tell someone that they've been in the same tank for months already so are used to each other. heh. attract more $$.

:welcome:
I would sell two and keep one. They cant stay in that 20 for another year until you move into a house. Do you have a friend that can maybe keep the two until you move out. If not just sell them and when you move into a house and buy a new tank get more pygos to add to your existing guy.
As for the cloudiness see what happens with the new filter, it should help to clear things up. What are you using to do water changes? Do you have a Python? If not buy one and it will become your best friend! Also do not leave food in the tank for long periods of time. If the ps dont eat the food within say 30 mins to an hour take it out, or else it will just pollute your water.
and

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Added the new filter, and within 4 hours everything was crystal clear.... things are lookin up... they will be moving into a bigger tank once the income is there and i am outta these dorms. Probably about 10 weeks. If anything starts happening you will see a post from me trying to seel them...
. but as for now things are going well and i keep them well fed and they enjoy life and i love looking at them. thanks for all of your help everyone!!

congrats on your new filter! Im sure you will see a difference. I have used and enjoyed aquaclear filters. My lfs loves them and they have been in buisness 25+ years. Are you using both together? I personally think you'll be fine for the 10 weeks. Thats just my opinion though. Just keep them fed and keep up on water changes is all.

Hero, Welcome to PFury!

A few things . . . First, use a net to fish out what the P's don't eat. Second, its already been said, but get a bigger tank as soon as you are able. Finally, I live in Ohio, and have lived in Columbus. Check out Aquarium Adventure at Sawmill and 161. They are kind of pricey, but occasionally run excellent specials on tanks. My All Glass 75g was only $80 brand new from there. Also check out Jack's Aquarium on Broad and Wilson. They have good deals there on occasion as well. Don't forget to check out the classifieds here, in the Dispatch, and on other fish websites.

Good luck with the P's.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
THANKS EVERYONE!!! all of your posts have helped me 10 fold. I am looking at getting a bigger one and already have some things picked out so thats looking up.. and the filter is working great. Yea i have an Aquarium Adventure by where i live (mason, Ohio).. well where i am actually from. I will check the one out around here too... Thanks Bluegill!.. I think they will be in fine in there for the time being... Nothing but some small fin nibbling going on.. I am going to post pictures of the new cleaner tank ASAP. But thanks again for everyones help!! it is certainly well appreciated!!

Hero, I've actually been to the Aquarium Adventure store in Mason as well. I currently in Troy just North of Dayton. I don't know how often they do tank specials there, but I seem to remeber it being an annual event that occurs Mid-Summer. My brother picked up nice 65g tank (36"x18"x24") for his dart frogs. I won't swear to it, but I think that tank was also less than $100.00.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.