Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Your Kung Fu is No Good Here...
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After wanting to start a rb tank for a couple years i finally did it.
Never been more excited! Ive done tropical tanks for years but havent had the room or resources to start with p's, but it finally became possible.

Im starting small as a newbie, i have 2 red bellies about 3" now. However over the summer i plan on getting a larger tank...prob about 125 gallon, and with that id definately like to add some more. How much problems does this usually cause?

If my luck continues as my two are doing great so far, started eating right away and are taking almost everything i give them (lovin the shrimp). i figure theyll be around 6" by the summer when i upgrade. Is it possible to add maybe 3-5 more, obviously smaller rbs then, or will they conflict with the two bigger ones too much?

Thanks for any input in advance and I look forward to talking with everyone on the boards!

-Mike

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome to P-Fury Mike. General rule is 1 fish per 20gallon. It's best to introduce same size fish to your 125g to avoid possible domination from the 2 bigger Ps.

·
2012 Is the year the World ENDS!!!&#33
4,009 Posts
The 1 fish per 20gallon rule is more like a guided line. Some people get away with 1 fish per 10 gallon. Some p's have to be alone but others may differ there opinion on this. Read up in the information center but if you have any problems there are tons of people here on P-fury who can help. rchan11 is right about the size of the P's. It could be done but watch them and feed them.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
welcome aboard. i'm from cherry hill dude. any questions p.m. me. i've been keeping pygos for a little while with success now. i don't know what size tank your reds are in now........but you may want to add a third. sometimes two don't get along is all. it happened to me with my first rbp's when they were little. i had two, and one was bullying the other. the smaller one killed and ate the bully while i was out one day. showed him. i still have that mean little red though and he's insane. anyway, if you're looking into a 125 this summer i can guarantee you you'll have room for all the piranhas you want and more. like about 8-10 of them. expect yours to grow FAST. like while you're watching fast. also, you'll be able to add additional p's at any stage of the game as long as you try to keep them within 2" of each other in size to prevent bullying. i've had a five inch rbp with a eight inch piraya for months and no problems. although i do have three in between those two in different sizes so i think the piraya just thinks he's the biggest fish in a shoal of decent sized ones instead of thinking in terms of being larger than the smallest if that makes sense. one other thing. if you like reds alot, you may want to look into adding caribe, and a tern and a piraya eventually to get the full color spectrum of p's. that's what i did and i'm loving it. that way you get red, silver, and orange/yellow in your shoal. click on the ads to the right and see what's in stock so you can plan your 125 livestock strategy. both stores are in nj and easy to drive to from where we live. maybe like 1.5 to 2 hours max if traffic is crummy.

·
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I had done alot of research up to starting my tank, and realized three was probably a better choice, but i had significant space constraints which are a problem. They are in a 20gallon right now, which i am aware is far too small for ps, and thats the reason for the plan to upgrade come summer, or asap. Currently my rbs are still juvies, spots and all and pretty small, so from what i read, and my experience so far (i havent seen as much as a nip or even a little chase between the two) they should be ok in the confined space for the next 2-3 months, but i didnt think trying to add a third to that small area was a good idea right now. Let me know if you think differently. Obviously i would love a third, but with the small tank i thought that was a bad idea, even though the space will increase significantly over the summer.

Its good to hear that I can add to build a shoal later on. With all that space Id love to have a nice size group of rbs to enjoy. Im glad Ill be able to introduce a new group with limited problems. Thanks for eveyones help, and Id appreciate your input if I should try to add a third, regardless of the extreme space contstraints.

-Mike

Oh and dutchfrompredator, good to see someone so near by. I may begin to bother you about where to get some good food supplies and tank supplies over time. Ill look forward to talking to you!

·
4,021 Posts
Oh, and by the way, thanks again guys for the fast replies and all the help. This site and everyone on the board absolutely rocks!!!
I have found what is becoming a new favorite site!

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Welcome to PFURY Mike .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts