Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, After a major tank disaster where I lost all of my African Cichlids i decided to graduate to RBP's. Just got 2 pairs young no RB as yet. Ant\y suggestions

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi well try to get at least 5 RB and if the red bellie hasnt started to shown yet i might be because of stress or bad light.

Btw, Welcome to piranha-fury

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
welcome to p-fury
the red will probably develop soon as they tend to have minimal red when they are really young.
good luck
dixon

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
2 pairs, meaning 4?

that is a good number, as said they dont like bright lights, and also provide some cover, and some swimming space for them to be happy.

any questions?

Oh and Welcome to PFury, and tell us about your cichlids also

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi thanks all for the replies. My tank has a fluroscent light aquarium blue, some rock and a bog wood and 2 artificial plants. After introducin the RBP's they were most of the time hiding behind a rock or under the bog wood and they seem to run at the sight of human movement. Is all this ok and can somebody direct me a to a site or gimme info here about their behaviours etc.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I too use a blue light, it is dimmer than regular bulbs and seems to work fine, piranhas dont like bright lights - their eyes cant take it.

also it is usual for them to behaive in the way that you are describing, they are shy fish and it takes them quite a while to become bold and venture all about the place.
what are you feeding them?

as for directing you to a site, you already found it, many sites online have piranha information, some are good, but most are rubbish and have totally inaccurate info on them.

I personally reccomend this site and OPEFE which is much more scientific than this site and is run by our resident piranha scientist Frank (hastatus)

Pfish is also pretty good, but much like it here, and less piranha orientated than here

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As of now 'am feeding them dried worms. Today was the first day and to jump start them I also introduced 2 mollies from my community tank and the Mollies are throwing their weight around and pushing the Natts little do they know that is due course they are gonna be FOOD. The introduction has pepped up the RBPs and one molly has already had a small bit of the tail fin nipped of in the first few minutes.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
What are the sizes of the reds?

~Dj

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Read to learn about piranhas to take proper care of them...you should visit OPEFE´s site and this forum...the more you learn the healthier and happier Ps you will get...
!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts