Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I just want to say that I've found a lot of useful information on this site and I thank all of you who post your experience/recommendations, much of it has come in handy. So here's my dilemma/question: I'm a newbie piranha owner and bought 4 rbp's this past week for my 55 gal tank. All are under an inch right now so I'm assuming they're very young. One of them has already died and I wonder if it's because I'm not feeding them enough? I bought frozen blood worms and frozen baby brine shrimp and am curious as to how much you guys think I should be giving them? It seems like only one of them eats when I put the food in there and the others just hide in the plants. I can tell that the one who I see eat has already grown a little but the other ones are still pretty small so I'm not sure if they are even eating at all. I also have some flakes that I have tried and it's the same scenario. I'm just afraid that the one who I see eating will kill off the other 2 I have left and I would like to have more than one. Also, with the baby brine shrimp, I can't even tell if they are eating it as it seems to dissolve when I drop it in the water. Is this normal? I'd say I put about nickle size servings in there twice a day. Do you guys think this is enough food? Should I feed them more than twice a day? Is there any way to way to make sure the smaller ones are eating? Sorry if these are stupid questions but like I said, I'm a newbie rbp owner and don't know a whole lot about them. Any informations/suggestions you have would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I doubt if that one piranha that died did so because of starvation. Piranha can go up to 3 weeks in the wild without food.

Before you focus too much on the feeding, make sure that your water parameters are where they should be. That is your first priority. Feeding comes second. If the PH is too high or you have inadequate filtration, you won't have to worry about your piranhas being hungry, you'll have to worry about them being dead.

Do you have a test kit and the neccesary tools to check your water. Was the tank cycled before you put your piranhas in?

I know it may sound like common sense stuff, but you'd be amazed at how many new piranha owners overlook the obvious stuff first and then wonder why their fish are dead.

Good luck with everything. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
piranha can go longer than that without food. In the dry season they can go like 2 months.... even longer... just fyi.. and yes test the parameters

·
Registered
579 Posts
cmsCheerFish said:
piranha can go longer than that without food. In the dry season they can go like 2 months.... even longer... just fyi.. and yes test the parameters
[snapback]949011[/snapback]​
I doubt baby p's can go that long?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,888 Posts
DepH said:
cmsCheerFish said:
[snapback]949011[/snapback]​
I doubt baby p's can go that long?

[snapback]949283[/snapback]​
That's what I was thinking

Yes Dawgie Style, we will need to know those parameters. Otherwise, there isn't much more we can do to help you, because it sounds as though you are doing everything right with the feedings.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am new to p's but have kept many fish. I've found that those frozed baby brine shrimp can be tough on your parameters sometimes. Buy a test kit if you don't already have one. Keep an eye on everything and try to make sure the un-eaten food gets removed before to long. Also welcome and good luck!!! :welcome:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts