Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
today came back from a love week vac., and i c the color was very browny....read some thinks on the forum that tthese things are tannins(just started to shou up on the wood itself, its like hairs or something and they just color tea like, no harm to the fish,,
(tank hasnt come close to cycled for sure)
my my redingss before i left were
PH 7.4
Ammonia 3.7
Nitrites' 0.8
Nitrate0.10

mayde a 30% water change
feeding the fish everyotherday just to get their belliess bulging and take out the rest of the food

i check my numers today and they r as folloows

PH 7.2
Ammonia 6.1
nitrites 1.6
nitrate something in the (50-40)

all way too hi...my plan is more water changes twice to threee times a week

I am really suspicious about the filter i am using, its a 40 gal. tank made(by jebo) for aquruim fish so the one that came with it will just be made for regular fish...i will post pics of my filter so could c what is it called..has an air nozel,uses a motor to pump up water to this tube with holes and under them is some kind of soft cotton fiber,,,the water is filtered throw this membrane and back into the tank on the other side...its like a cheap all/in/1 product that not working 4 me...ny other better coices

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
In my opinion jebo is garbage, get a fluval 305 in your case but I would spend a Little extra to get the 405. Never enough filtration. Make sure your tank was cycled, if it wasnt and you dont have a spare tank, do water changes often and Check Parameters everyday. JEBO=Garbage IMO

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You need a filter with a decent amount of bio media as (sintered glass, lava rock etc.) soon as possible.
The pH should be lower than 7.0 right now because of ammonium in the water (now you have a risk for ammonium burns and gill function failure).

Harry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as of today my numbers are still high
PH 7.0(thats down)
Ammonia 3.7 (down from yesterday a bit)
Nitrita 1.6
Nitrate 50 or maybe a bit higher, i cannot match it exactly to da 50 nor is it a match to the 100(darker) in between maybe

went to my lfs and they only sold either the fluval 204 (rated at 50gallons) or the fluval 304 (rated at 70gallons) are these the same as the 305's
can i just hook up up the filter and let it run in conjuction with what i have??or do i have to cycle it??
plz help

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
You need more filters yes, but right now you need to get that ammonia under control. Any ammonia is bad, that much is really, really bad. Do a big water change, like 25 gallons or so on that tank, to get the ammonia down. Then check again, if it is more than .5, do another big change. You need to do whatever is needed to get the ammo down under .5

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maddyfish,,,

with your recommendation of large water changes, should I treat my tap water first (anti-clorine) or similar...I am scared that with the large water change there would be things (like clorine) i dont know of thats usually is found in tap water??

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yep. You should use a conditioner that removes chlorine & chloramines. There are many available.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Definately dechlorinator. I use Dechlor by Weco, but any brand name dechlor ought to be ok. Some people say large water changes are stressful, I don't think so, but in this case your high ammonia levels are a whole lot more stressful than a large water change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys...

how long should i wait once i put the reconditioner in a bucket full of tap water before i introduce it to the tank?? is it instentanious or should i wait a while????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts