Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my new aquaclear 150 wet/dry filter off of ebay and i set everything up, but i have a few questions.

if i wanted to drill holes in my tank and use those for the inlet and discharge...how would i set up the prefilter? (i mean it obviously wouldnt be hanign off the side of the tank)

also, i heard that there is a way to set it up so that if there is a power outtage or something your entire tank wont drain. how do u set it up that way?!?

also, when i set it up today the filter filled with water way too much and the bioballs were completely covered with water so there was no trickle affect. the water pump did have to pump the water about 4 ft high...so was it syphoning the water out faster than it could pump it? and if so why didnt the filter overflow?

i have a few more small questions, but those might get answered with responses to this.

·
Registered
834 Posts
First question, I wouldn't suggest drilling your tank, unless you or someone you know, actually knows what they are doing. You could crack the tank or make scratching on the tank. You won't need to setup anything incase of a power outtage. Your fish should be fine. You could rig up a battery operated air pump and if your really paraniod setup a apc generator, but i doubt you will need all that. If the bioballs are covered there is to much water in the tank just empty out the tank and it will be fine. Also your overhead will automatically stop sucking if the water in the tank gets to low, gravity etc....

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i used the method of a hole in the tank and the power went out my tank would definently drain.

how would the amount of water in my aquarium affect how much the wet/dry fills with water?!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the wet/dry filled with water up until about 2-3 inches from the top where it would have started spilling out. i like the aquarium to be full. and i think that if that method actually worked i would have take a lot of water out of my tank..

is there any other method? taking the water directly out of the wet/dry should work right? i mean if the water level is staying constant then removing water should lower the level in the wet/dry and still keep the same flow..

why is that the amount of water in the aquarium woudl effect how much the filter fills up?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yes you can take it out of the sump but its sometimes easier to take it directly from the tank. Its something about gravity etc... the more water in the tank the more the siphon on the overflow sucks out or something, because if you lower it enough to ware no new water is entering the overflow the overflow will just stop sucking. Just try it out and see was happens. You want the water in the sump to be right under the bioballs you don't want your bioballs submerged in the water.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i know that the bioballs should not be submerged. that defeats the purpose of the water trickling over them and getting the high amount of aeration and the "drying" affect.

i will mess around with it when i get the chance.

how hard is to drill a hole in an aquarium? lets just say that i do get a hole drilled in it with no problems...where would i mount the prefilter?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I believe you should do it near the top of the tank on one of the sides probably near the back. Might want to check where it is on a predrilled tank. Since its glass you will probably need a diamond tipped drill bit, but im not exactly sure. Talk to a guy at ace hardware or even call a glass shop and ask them what to use. Im assuming the bit will probably set you back about 20 - 40 bucks. Good luck though!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Personally i would be a p*ssy to do it for the simple fact that I would be really worried that drilling into the glass might make a crack etc... But then again it doesn't hurt to try just make sure you got all the stuff you need to do it correctly.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright...good idea! i will talk to a glass shop or something.

i am going to be getting a 150g tank from TheFishCatcher soon and he drills holes in aquariums for like $10 i think. perhaps i can just ask him.

should i even bother trying to set up the protien skimmer?

im not even sure if i set that part of the filter up correctly. does anyone know anything about those?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont understand how to get my wet/dry to work correctly. i did what outie suggested and took some water oout of my tank just to see if that would work...i had to lower my tank's water level a lot though and i dont want to have my tank like this just to run this filter.

how do you guys that have wet/dry filters make it work so that the water level in the sump stays at the proper height and still have your tank filled all the way up?

here is my tank's water level whrn the wet/dry is at the correct water level...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
we need a pic of you box with the bio balls it sounds to me like mabe your pump does not pump the water out of you over flow box fast enough take some pics of you entire filter set up and we can help trust me they are a pain in the ass to get set up but after that your set. i hated mine at first to but after i got it set up it work great check out this link to
filter set up

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
You can adjust the height of the overflow box. Bring the height of the overflow box (the one inside the tank) to the height where you want the water level to be. The sump will empty out the excess water to bring the water level in the tank to the point of the overflow. Thus the bioballs will no longer be submerged in water. You might have to add more water to the tank if the sump runs dry. Hope that made sense...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep that made perfect sense because i figured it out yesterday on how to get it right. thanks though

now i have another problem...since i have been running the wet/dry (set it up yesterday at 6:30-7) my water has turned cloudy. i dont have a clue why this could be.

does anyone know why this is happening?

here is a pic of the tank today after i did a 30%-35% water change...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when i said the difference in the 2 pics...i meant the pic that i took yesterday displaying the water level and the full tank shot i took today to display the cloudiness.

i put the overhang filter on this morning when i noticed the water was cloudy as hell as well as doing a water change. also, my oscars were stressed from me messing the fish tank so much yesterday (setting up the wet/dry) and they did not eat the pellets that u put in there so those all just broke apart and sank to the bottom of the tank. which could have caused the cloudiness?

my fish seem really stressed out though...they go from laying on the bottom to hovering at the top.

i dont know what the water parameters are.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i read that completely wrong....the tank has been set up for about 1 1/2 months i would say & the overhang filter has been on that aquarium so there is bacteria growth on the filter right now.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
In the first pic, the only filtration you have is a brand new wet/dry. In the second and third pics, you added the Emp400. Did you remove the Emp when you installed the wet/dry? If that's the case, your tank is going through the cycling process all over again because you have removed the majority of the nitrifiers from your system. That's why your oscars look stressed. Adding food that is uneaten has made the situation worse. Adding the old Emp will quickly resolve the problem in the next few days, but for the time being, do not feed your fish, vacuum all left over food, buy a basic water test kit, add a bit of salt, and do a 20% water change when you observe that your oscars are showing stress (rolling over, gasping for air, cloudy eyes, flared gills, etc.).

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
yes i did remove the overhang filter when i was trying to set up the wet/dry, but i intended to put it back on when i was done. i forgot to because i needed to be somewhere.

i knew that keeping the overhang filter on there would be good so that the wet/dry had time to grow bacteria and stuff, but i did not think it would be this drastic. i didnt know the cycling process would change the water so quickly.

im pissed off now that i forgot to put that back on and it didnt take long at all for my water to get jacked up.

thanks a lot DonH for the quick and helpful responses!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.