Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am starting up my first planted tank. it is an oceanic 30 gallon cube with the dimensions 20 1/2'' x 18 1/2'' x 21 x1/2''.

right now i have a corallife colormax bulb in for the tank (6700k) and a layer of fluorite for teh substrate

i am really interested in making the tank heavily planted and then i am going to add in a shoal of neon tetras when i am finished.

so any tips on how to make the tank more successful for when i start planting? also, does anyone have any good pics that i can look at for inspiration? i checked many posts on here but for some reason i cant get most of the pics to show up

thanks

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you plant heavily to begin with, it will make things easier.

Your substrate is great...i have it in my 75 gal.
Your light sounds ok..just make sure that you are providing the correct amount of wattage over your tank. Its a 30 gal so to have a low light tank shoot for around 1 watt per gal. If you want to plant a medium light tank or even a bright light tank then you must shoot for something in the 2 to 3 watt per gal range.

For inspiration look to Dippy's tanks...they are fantastic.

Oh...and remember to dose the correct ferts until you get a balance established. Fluorish excell....micros...iron etc...

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
To add to what they all said... neon tetras are like the bottom of the line fish for a planted tank... go for something rare... espei rasboras, galaxy rasboras, choprae danio, even cardinal tetras are better than neons! There are some very nice looking killifish out there to be had as well.. you may want to try to find a local aquarium club and usually they have spring and fall auctions and you may be able to find a very nice little group of fish to put in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts