Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone? I just realized that I love piranhas. They are the f-ing coolest fish. I just moved into a new house and have been planning on getting a big tank. The problem is that I don't know too much about tanks yet. I only own a 10 gallon tank now. I'm planning on buying a 200g tank or maybe even bigger. I need some info on some of the things I'd need to set up a tank that size, ie. good filters, lights, or whatever else I need so I can start doing some good research. I want multiple fish in the tank so i figured caribas or rb's would be a good choice. Basically, I'm just a beginner looking for some good advice. thanks alot everyone

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Great! welcome to the board

If you want to learn about piranhas you have come to the right place

Just post some specific questions in the many areas available and take a look at the other options at the top of the page.

1st step would be to review over the many piranha species available and to select one that interest you most and one that you could provide for happily

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first thing I did was read the whole information page. Since I want a group of fish in the tank, I figure either rb's or cariba would be a good choice. I think they look really cool too. I want to do some research on filters but I have no idea what kind would be good for a big tank like this. Can someone give me a clue about what type of filter I should be looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. This is an awesome website. I'm just confused from all of the different types of filters. Canister filters, power filters, wet/dry. What type of filter are good for p's. I'm pretty sure I want a pretty big setup like 200g or bigger. Sorry about the dull beginner questions.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Canister filters (made by Eheim, amongst others) or a wet/dry filter are your best options for a tank in the 200 gallon range...

Just do a web-search, use the search function of this site, and/or post a question in the Equipment Questions section, and you'll most likely find out what you'll need within a day...

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I would consider successfully maintaining a smaller tank before jumping into a 200 gallon monster. Try getting a 75-100 gallon with a nice shoal of 5-7 red bellies.

Welcome to the hobby.

Check out the glossary for the definitions of common terms.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Let me give you the basics...

Before you plan on getting a 200 gal, I advice you to get acrylic. Glass is way too heavy and sealsmight deteriorate during time and spring a leak. Acrylic is light, can be switched to salt water, durable and can keep its value within time.

Before you start putting your Ps in, you'll need to get it cycled. Cycling is the process which water perimeters in the tank are balanced in order for a safe environment. Using feeders and checking perimeters will do the job, also the use of Bio-Spira would help the process quicker.

Propper equipment would be your choice of gravel and decors. For filteration on a 200 gal, I would use 2 AC 500 external filter, one 901 AC powerhead, and any of the top name brand canister filters (FilStar XP3, FluVal 404, Eheim 2228).

For your Pygo shoal, Caribas and RB would look nice in your 200 gal. I would say a max of 20-22 Pygo's would do good in such a huge tank. I would suggest a mix shoal(RB, Cariba, Tern, and Piraya) for others to envy your collection.

Any other questions please feel free to post. We're always glad to help out. Good Luck..

Oh yeah.. WELCOME to PFury!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Acrylic is light, can be switched to salt water, durable and can keep its value within time.
What is it that you mean by this statement? Glass cannot be switched over to a salt water tank. I have no clue about acrylic. Or how the price compares to glass.

Also Opiate, I dont think that undergravel filters are the best for Piranhas so stay away from those. You'll probably also need a kit to check your water paramaters.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Welcome to the board!

For a 200Gal tank with RB/Cariba/Terns, 2 hang on power filters like AC500 or Emperor, 2 Canister fliters like Fluval 404 or FilstarXP will do the job, but trying to maintain all 4 filters will be a bitch!

Now if you're going to toss in some Piraya's, you better switch or just start off with a Wet/Dry system. I'm talking about a 50 to 60 Gallon sump, and a overflow box that spit's out over 1500 GPH.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think what Xenon said makes alot of sense. Maybe I should start off smaller instead of jumping into a huge tank. I think i'll settle with a 75-100g for now. I've been reading all day on this site so I think I have most of the basics down. Can anyone tell me a good place to get a 75-100g tank. Should I just go to my local petsmart or look on the web?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
otherwis u could start with a singe rbp tiny one in a 11 gallon and then move up to a 38 gallon one later

i am using a 38 gallon for my single RBP and he just loves it. bright colors. oh yes and he has a lil Pleco as a mate

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Hannibal said:
RhomZilla said:
Acrylic is light, can be switched to salt water, durable and can keep its value within time.
What is it that you mean by this statement? Glass cannot be switched over to a salt water tank. I have no clue about acrylic. Or how the price compares to glass.
Where did I say anything about glass?? or it being ok to switch to a salt water tank? I was merely stating the pros of having acrylic.

Let me rephrase..

Acrylic tanks are much lighter than glass tanks.

You cans switch from fresh to salt water tank in an acrylic.. where you cannot with glass because in due time the salt would eat away the glue.

Lastly.. you wouldnt want a 150 gal glass tank break because you were throwing a NERF football around in the room, where it may just scratch your acrylic. And because of this.. its why most would rather look into buyin plexi

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
i have glass but when i upgrade i want acrylic but mine is a great tank to mantain!!
i would suggest you start off with a spilo or a rhom in a 75-100 gallon tank for the time being then see if you like caring for piranha's then get a multiple piranha shoal and keep us posted on all your choice's

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I don't suggest putting one rbp by it self, they are ment to be in groups and if you go with a 75-100, get a few cariba's,rbps,ternz.....a few of each. Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hey man welcome also i agree with Xenon smaller tank to start i would recomend a 108 gal tank to start imo would be a perffect starter tank its right in between a 4 foot tank and a big 6 foot tank at 5 feet id say 108 with 6 reds to start would be perfect for you to start out with just my 2 cents tho. good luck man let us all no what you end up with no matter what tho.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
ezkilla13 said:
They are able to be alone they just are less shy andmore aggressive in groups!!so airtorey15 is WRONG
airtorey15 is not wrong, since he never said you can't keep reds alone...
All he said was that he wouldn't suggest it (because in the wild, reds live in shoals), and I second that motion!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts