Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
What size tank do you have? 20 gallon per fish for life is the general rule of thumb..The tank footprint is one of the most important things to keep in mind..Piranhas need a long tank not tall..Also when getting pygos 2 is a bad number you should get a third to spread out aggression.

Food--Depending on the size of your fish can range from blood worms,,beef heart,,white fish(catfish tilapia shrimp etc)

Temp-- 78 to 82 degrees

Water treatment---I suggest just keeping the tank clean and free of excess food..Do atleast 1 water change of about 25% weekly.

And Welcome to the hobby.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
First of 2 piranha in any tank are bad idea...It will fight and kill over the aggression and territorial. Piranha do well with eighter single in one tank or a group with 3 or more in a tank.

Piranha as pygo ter, red, piraya, and caribe required a large tank for them if you want them to grow fast and big..Another word the bigger tank for them the better.

3 pygo in 55g to 75g

4-5 pygo in 120g-150g

6-8 pygo in 180g....

but that was just me, is sample for you...you dont have to follow the list. Every one have their own like and dislike.

As state above temp abour 78-82f, ph between 6.5-7 is good
for filteration the more the better for the tank...

should feed them variety different food such as shrimp, prawn, fish fillet, talapia, silver side, pellets, etc...

Water change 25-50% max weekly...

Good luck

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
If you want us to tell you if your tank is big enough, it would help if you would tell us the size of your tank.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
lol, I was thinking the same thing. I think he may have tried to post a pic or a link, and failed.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
what size is your tank now?

you should follow the 20-25g rule for each fish

for food, try to stay off of feeders because they may stunt your fishes growh. you are mainy focu in feeding them 90% white fish fillets. (shrimp, catfish, tilapia, and all that good stuff)

for water quality...try to always remove uneaten food and do water changes every week. About 25-40% will do.

good luck with your new fish

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
that looks to be a 30Gallon tank..........????????
too small for juv reds, you can start out with babies but you will have to upgrade
to a bigger tank in no time flat. if you plan to keep reds (pygo's) no less than a 100
gallon will do (imo) 75's are usless

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
looks like a 10g to me. try to get a bigger tank as fast as you can...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i didnt know how much room they needed. i'm about to buy this 150 gal from my older brother. thanks for this info from everybody

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
That's awesome news! Since you are getting the 150 gallon, it would be a perfect time to purchase some more juvenile red bellies the same size as the ones you have now. You can keep 8 for life in a 150 gallon tank with good filtration of course. It sure beats a shoal of only 2!

~Taylor~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts