Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming soon will be a 75 gallon tank that im getting for xmas. Now i wanted to have it planted with a lot of ground cover...

I need suggestions on lights, Co2, and plants i can use...

ps theres gonna be a rhom and some dither tetras in the tank...

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
please show a pic, or tell us what plants you want to have.

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont even know what plants i want to use...but i want that stuff that u have in your compresuses tank as the grass sorta thing. And i needa fast growing long leaf plant to make it look really lush and a few odd plants here and there.

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
Low, medium, or high light?

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
no, not easier. There are lots of things that make it a bit tougher with higher light, like dosage amounts, troubleshooting and adjustment..

And plants grow faster, so there is lots more trimming lol

But I think it is more difficult to learn how to run a tank with high light on it, and is more expensive.

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
for best results you need: nitrate -phosphate -poatassium, a micro fert, and some iron. (gregwatson.com) Also, I would have a 2l bottle of flourish excell lying around just in case.
But some medium light tanks are ok on nitrate and phosphates.. It is great to have them on hand, for sure. I would not do it without them all personally.
Then I would get a 50lb bag of Soilmaster select 'Charcoal' ordered online (lesco.com) and pick it up when the local store manager calls..
you have a 75g tank, so I would go to Home Depot, and get 2 T12, or 2 T8 shoplight fixtures, and hang them from the cieling about 6" from the top of the tank, or just lay them on top.
I would get a canister filter for it, then you would be all set!
With that setup, you could grow more than just low light plants. You could grow Blyxa japonica, Hygrophila polysperma, Bacopa caroliniana, and many other cool plants.
Then you could get into scaping

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
Peat isn't necissary, but it does help when done right.

When I used it, I put too much under the substrate, and after about 8 months, I had a problem growing some delicate plants.

If you do use it, use only a dusting on the bottom, so that you can still see some glass.
Sorry, I don't know what BWE is

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
You can use it how you want, but I would never do that if I was growing plants, because it puts tannins in the water that way, and takes away from your lighting.
When used under the substrate, you get the water softening/pH lowering qualities, but not the tannins.

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can use it how you want, but I would never do that if I was growing plants, because it puts tannins in the water that way, and takes away from your lighting.
When used under the substrate, you get the water softening/pH lowering qualities, but not the tannins.
Really? There i learned something! I think ill do it that way!

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
not only that, but the peat is where it is utilized most by the plants.. their roots

1 - 15 of 15 Posts