Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Guys how long should I allow a new tank to run until I put my P's in? Im going to be getting a 150 gallon tank, and I have 6 baby P's. Should I add in other fish before so they can condition the water?
Also, I have no clue what type of filtration set-up I should use? power heads/ wet dry/ mechanical? I just don't know what brands and what models would make up the best combination for my tank? Any help is greatly apreciated!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
For the cycling process: I suggest to get a testkit, to monitor the water perimeters closely (you can do it by gut feeling as well, or just have it cycle for a couple of weeks, but testing the water is the safest way).

As for the cycling process: at first, the ammonia level will rise. After the ammonia spike, nitrites will sore, and eventually the amount of nitrates will rise. As soon as the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero (or very close to zero), the tank is finished cycling and ready to use. The nitrate will be removed when you do water changes.
Adding goldfish (or pure ammonia) speeds up the process, but it will still takes at least a couple of weeks.

As for filtration: many will say a wet-and-dry is the most efficient way of filtration, especially for larger tanks. I never used such a filter, though, so I can't tell you much about it. As far as I know it's relatively cheap to set one up (basically, you need a spare tank, two pumps, some tubes, filter media and a couple of things more).
For my own tank, I use a canister filter, and it does its job really good (I have no complaints whatsoever). Some brands are Eheim (very expensive, but by considered the Mercedes of canisters...), Fluval, Juwel, Rena and many more. I live in Europe, and most brands you Americans use are not sold here, so ask others about those. All I can say is that Eheim (which I use) is very good: reliable, quiet, efficient.

Buying canisters for a 150 gallon tank is not going to be cheap, though. If you want proper filtration, you'll need at least 5 times the tank content turned over per hour, so in your case a turnover of 750 gallons per hour (which will be at least two filters, probably even more...) Some people even advise a turnover of as much as 10x the tank content...

Powerheads and internal filters can also be used: the first to provide a little excersize for your p's (no filtration though) because it adds a strong current to the water. Internal filters are used to have some additional filtration (mostly mechanical filtration: removing debris floating around), current or create surface agitation (but placing the outlet a surface level).
I have one 325 gph powerhead, which my reds hardly ever use btw. (
), and two internal filters (in every back corner one).

Hope this helps :smile:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
you will need to cycle your tank, the easyest way to do this is by adding fish, but you can also do a fishless cycle.

as for filters, it doesn't much matter as long as you keep up with water changes.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you have any other tanks running already use some of that water, or a friends tank. Just make sure the tank the water comes from has been properly maintained. You do run the risk of introducing bad elements into your new tank. Feeders would be a good idea since they are way cheaper than losing a p.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.