Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 128403 Why is it that when my tank light is on it makes my water look cloudy? When the tank lights are off, and just my room light on, the water seems clear. The tank isnt quite finished cycling yet does it clear up after its finished?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
yea, the foam in your filter media will pick up all the dust. take the pads out once a day, and give em a rinse.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
yea, the foam in your filter media will pick up all the dust. take the pads out once a day, and give em a rinse.
Holy sh*t, that is by far the worst information that you could have ever given. Are serious? DO NOT take your foam thing out and rinse them. That should only be done on well established tanks, and only when needed, which would primarily be like once every 1-2 months. Your sponges will hold tons of bacterias that you will just be flushing right down the drain if you rinse them. And when you do rinse them in the far away future, make sure you fill a pitcher of tank water, then rinse them in the tank water.

Bad info inflade. BOO to you dude!!!

Dust? What dust? Dude has gravel in his tank!!! What the hell you been smokin'?
This is most deff goin' in the p-fury 20 stupidest quotes.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Holy sh*t, that is by far the worst information that you could have ever given. Are serious? DO NOT take your foam thing out and rinse them. That should only be done on well established tanks, and only when needed, which would primarily be like once every 1-2 months. Your sponges will hold tons of bacterias that you will just be flushing right down the drain if you rinse them. And when you do rinse them in the far away future, make sure you fill a pitcher of tank water, then rinse them in the tank water.

Bad info inflade. BOO to you dude!!!

Dust? What dust? Dude has gravel in his tank!!! What the hell you been smokin'?
This is most deff goin' in the p-fury 20 stupidest quotes.
i miss interpreted the post, i thought the post was outlining how to get rid of the cloudy water. if you didnt jump to the trigger you would relize that some subrtate, even gravel, has dust. when i got 3 bags of fine white gravel i had to rinse it out almost like sand because of the dust.

the filter sponges would collect the small dust particles in the water. using a bucket with aquarium water, dip the media a few times in the bucket, the dust trapped inside the foam, should escape.

than put back in.

i dont think i gave bad advice. he asked about getting rid of the cloudy water and i told him how to do it.

·
4,364 Posts
it was horrible advice due to the fact that he is trying to cycle a tank. Maybe you should make sure you read the post and UNDERSTAND it before you go and "jump to the trigger" and type sh*t that has nothing to do with the thread. PAY ATTENTION before you go blowing a guys whole cycle because YOU misinterpreted the post!!!

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Maybe both of you should pay a little more attention... there are several reasons that the water could be cloudy... could be dust from the gravel which I doubt if his filters are running as they would quickly pull all of that out as long as he has adequate filtration. It could be cloudy due to cycling, or there could be a bacterial bloom etc. Do you know what your water parameters are MF?

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
yeah agree, sorry to say this is some really bad advice.....................those filter sponges should nly be cleaned IMO maybe once every month,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

those filter sponges are what keeps the bacteria happy in your tank as this is what it clings too................

when i clean my cannister i only clean one sponge a week, so i have 2 sponges, clean one, one week and the other the week after, i never clean the whole lo at the same time...............

the cloudiness in your water looks like a bacterial bloom, id say you have afew weeks left maybe, but without parameters we cant be sure....................

and as said above it could also be dust from your gravel, as i haev had this in one of my tanks, try and get us some Parameters so we can help you more

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
therizman1 is right, if it was dust from the gravel his filters would have pulled that from the tank already.

I aggree with dezboy, it looks like a Bacterial Bloom. How long has your tank been cycling, and what are your parameters?
Amnonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
Ph?
Temp?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ammonia - 0
Nitites - 2.0-3.0
Nitrates - 10
Ph - 6.8

Oh and temp is 80, and Im pretty sure my filtration is fine. Eheim Pro 2. those were my params last time I checked. Also the tank is not subject to much sunlight.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Maybe both of you should pay a little more attention... there are several reasons that the water could be cloudy... could be dust from the gravel which I doubt if his filters are running as they would quickly pull all of that out as long as he has adequate filtration. It could be cloudy due to cycling, or there could be a bacterial bloom etc. Do you know what your water parameters are MF?
Rizzo gets the prize!

Your tanks just cycling. the cloudyness is normal. Don't worry about it. Do nothing. it will clear it self up in a few days. This is the part where alot of ppl screw up durring the cycle. They freak out when the water gets cloudy and think they have to do something. But they don't its part of the cycle and is a good thing. Patience. If you don't have that grab a packet of bio-spira and that will help speed the process along.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Ammonia - 0
Nitites - 2.0-3.0
Nitrates - 10
Ph - 6.8

Oh and temp is 80, and Im pretty sure my filtration is fine. Eheim Pro 2. those were my params last time I checked. Also the tank is not subject to much sunlight.
You are going to want to get those Nitrites down to 0 before you put any fish in there... ammonia and nitrites should always be 0, nitrates 0-30ppm and your pH looks fine.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I agree with therizman1. Wait until those NO2 hit zero and you will ready to go!

·
4,364 Posts
Maybe both of you should pay a little more attention...
May I ask what I said that was any differant than what you said? Because, I see we all agree that it isn't the gravel dust, and his tank is cycling, so, how was I wrong, and what should I pay more attention to?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It'll clear up on it's own soon enough.
Hopefully it is finished cycling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts