Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we got a 8" red bellied piranha and so far he has been very inactive. The tank is plenty big and we have a large peice of driftwood in the tank. The fish has not moved from behind the driftwood yet. Now I understand that the fish is stressed, but shouldnt he be a little active. I have taken all precautions before and after I placed him in the tank. I guess what I am asking is whether or not we should keep the driftwood in there. If I take it out there will be more room and he will kind of be forced to be active. However if I leave the wood in there he has a hiding place. What do you guys reccomend.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
and add some more, they live in groups.

G

·
Add a few more, a solitary pygo is usually boring, also its attitude towards food will not be as aggressive as it would be in a shoal.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
i don't aggree, it will always be inactive while their is only one of them, even if you remove the driftwood.

·
Registered
38 Posts
first u should've bought 3-5 rbps at a younger stage... so they can develope a chain of command from the strongest to the weakest kinda like a monarchy, and no matter how many u get the first few days to weeks the fish need to adjust to their surrounds so just have patience and either sell your fish and buy new ones or introduce a few more p's of the same size

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
if you have him in a 55 add two more reds and you will see him interact a little more but i must stress "a little more" reds are a very skittish piranha

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My rb is solitary in a 220g and is very active. When it was in a 125 he was very inactive. Its kinda weird because both tanks are really big for only one fish. More likely give it time and plus if the water quality isn't up to par they tend to be sluggish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts