Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok, i'm confused about the tank size here... i want to get three red bellies about 1-2". i have an acylic 30 gallon, is that going to be large enough and for how long? i plan on purchasing at least a 55 gallon in about 10 months. i haven't been able to get enough info about the tank size so i'm confussed. Please let me know. Thanks, Amy

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
I think you may have some problems with 3 RBP that are already 2" in a 30 for 10 months. At 10 months they maybe pushing 6-7" and that would be too much for a 30. The smallest for 3 RBP would be a 55 and that's what I have. Even a 55 is small when they are getting to full grown size. I would not get the 30 and go for a 55 instead if you can.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I'd go with the dime size for now, but i think it will be ok. The dime size will give ya a litle extra time
A 55 gal is good for the 3 for life. The 30 is a little cramped

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks guys.
i've been having a very hard time finding info on tank sizes for these guys. some people say to keep a pair in a 30 but move them to a 55 if you want to breed. i read on one site from a guy who's owned them for 12 years that he had 6 4-5" ones in a 60 gallon. And i have no idea how fast they will grow. i know they will grow large, but i didn't know their growth rate. i want to get all the info about them first before i purchase them. the dumb pet store just sold three of the ones i want to some kids who have a 10 gallon.....
duhhh, he was just looking for a sale, so i don't trust anything he says, he just wants my money.
Thanks!!

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
Just keep in mind that RBP do grow fast. I got my RBPs' at about 1 1/2" and 3 months later they are pushing 5".

·
Registered
696 Posts
I disagree that a 55 will be good for life due to the fact is is only 12" wide. A red belly can get 12" plus in some ocassions. A 12" wide tank would be to small due to the reds are going to need room to turn. A 75 gallon would be perfect and get 2 more P's but a 40 breeder for the 3 would be better than a 55 due to the width but i recomend a tank that is 18" wide and as long as you can get. They will grow very very quickly if fed well. They will only be able to survive in that 30 gallon for a few months, say like 4-5 maybe. Make sure u have more than adequate filtration as it will be vital. You have any other questions please feel free to IM me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Amy,
I wouldn't suggest keeping a pair anywhere.. Most people say to keep at least 3 so they can share the aggression. I had my RB in a 20 gallon when he was a baby, and when he got to be about 5 inches I got a 55 gallon and got him two tankmates who are about 6 inches. Don't let LFS' discourage you just because they don't know what theyre doing. Piranhas are great fish, and you'll find all the help you need on this board. It's just an idea, but you might want to consider buying one and then upgrading when you need to, and then add fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, i can't believe they grow that fast. i haven't seen any site telling me their growth rate. in that case i might just wait. the pet store has a 55 gallon tank, stand, lid and everything included for $199. so i'll just try to get that this weekend for my birthday and start them off in there. Do you think 3 2" ones will be ok in a 55 gallon? Also i've been thinking about adding one of those bottom feeders to help control the algae, i've heard that by adding them at the same time as the piranha they will get along fine. What do you think?

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
3 will be fine in a 55 for a long time. Like has been mentioned the 55 is only 12" wide so when the RBP reach full size a 55 maybe a little tight. That is sometime away though. I believe RBP slow their growth down once they hit around 7". For a clean up fish, I would suggest a common pleco who is larger then the Ps. I had my pleco in the tank when I introduced my RBP's and they have gotten along OK to date. Of course with P's anything in the tank can be food at some point.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
First off, a 55 is gonna be good. Of course bigger is better, ive had 55s 60s 85s and a120 ive had pianha's for awile now and ive never seen one grow bigger Than 8-9 inches in tanks under than the 120 that i had.
Not to say it won't happen but the odd's are against it.
Their growth stunts

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Bcollins111900 said:
I disagree that a 55 will be good for life due to the fact is is only 12" wide. A red belly can get 12" plus in some ocassions. A 12" wide tank would be to small due to the reds are going to need room to turn. A 75 gallon would be perfect and get 2 more P's but a 40 breeder for the 3 would be better than a 55 due to the width but i recomend a tank that is 18" wide and as long as you can get. They will grow very very quickly if fed well. They will only be able to survive in that 30 gallon for a few months, say like 4-5 maybe. Make sure u have more than adequate filtration as it will be vital. You have any other questions please feel free to IM me.
get a 50 gallon breeder tank, its 48 x 18

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
most people are talking about the p's getting so big that they cant maneuver (sp) in the 55. The problem is that once they hit around 8-9" they will kill each other due to lack of tank space. Another thing you might wanna to consider, is instead of buying the tank and stand, buy a larger tank and place it on like a strong dresser, or have someone build you a stand. They are fairly easy to build and a lot cheaper. This way you could get a larger tank and could go longer without having to upgrade their tank. I bought my 135 for only 200 bucks and built my own stand. Just for comparison. Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts