Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a little background of my tank setup:

I just set up my 125 gallon tank with sand and wood. I am using two filters, a Rena Filstar and a Aquaclear overhead. I also purchased an 802 Powerhead because as I've been reading through the forums that Piranhas like the current. I have four Piranhas, two red belly and two caribas. Its been about three days and for some reason when I feed them, they seem frightened. I've been trying to feed them different things, like beef heart as one meal and feeders as another. How long does it take them to get used to their new home? Does this affect their appetite? I know they eat because the following day, the food is gone. But my real question is why aren't they a little aggressive? It seems like my cichlids in my 45g bowfront are more aggressive! Could it be the PH level or something with the water? Also, I've been reading through the forums that Piranhas dont like light. My pirahnas especially HATE the light. Anytime I turn the light on, they hide in between the plants and behind the wood. Are your piranhas like that too?

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
They will adjust to the light, Mine did. Give them a couple of weeks to settle in to their new home. Believe me they will start getting more cocky and snatching food out of the water. Ph should be around 6.8 to 7.2 ppm, But i doubt that is the prob. Have you done water tests? Put your temp to 82 degrees if not already. Since fish are cold blooded they will be more active.
Soon you will be like me and hope they slow down on the eating.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Raptor, I had my heater at 80 but will change it to 82. Also, I want to add more piranhas in my tank, how many do you think would be ok to have? I've seen people say 1 per every 20gallons? Right now they are between 4 - 4.5in each. If i bought some 3in piranhas, would they kill them? And I've noticed that two of my piranhas have turned a real dark color. I think they are going to mate. How can I see the eggs if they do mate on the sand? I guess I would have to wait until the eggs hatch into fry right?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i think that if u added 3 more that everything would be okay...they are only 4" for right now.

as far as the eggs go...i dont know a whole lot about breeding them.

other members can help you out there

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
what raptor advised is correct they do need time to adjust so give them time and try dimming the light with electrical tape in a candystripe style.
as for breeding at that size they are far to young and the colour change is probably due to acclimatising to your tank.
and i would advise adding more it will look better and the p's will act better in a bigger group and you do have the room.
dixon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts