Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my 3 rbs since they where the size of a quarter. since then i have feed them countless numbers of fresh seafood to keep them very healthy. bloodworms, earthworms, shrmp, tilapia, salmon, cod, and countless numbers of dry fish food. they are doing very well. they are all pushing 4 inches now.

the best luck i have had with them was when last month i read an artical about garlic. i got creative and i used tilapia, shrimp with shells, krill and some granulated garlic. i put all these things into a food processor and ground them up a bit. then i put little balls onto that press and seal stuff and froze them. not all i have to do is just unwrap one and toss it into the tank...my piranhas love it!

just thought i would share my experience with anyone who wanted to hear it.

variety and freshness are keys to a good diet for your ps!

peace

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Nice writing mbob.

I only pay attention to the garlic guard stuff.

People really should not use these kinds of somewhat unnatural stuff in order to get their Piranhas eat more eagerly. In general there is nothing wrong with Piranhas eat habits. They really eat well in aquarium care.
It is a completely another issue if Piranhas are not eating well. You see the loss of appetite is not the cause of any problem, loss of appetite is a symptom of some bigger problem. That might be water quality issues or some sickness. Surely garlic is not a way to treat that.

Just to make sure people here are not trying to hide or put aside the real issue they should pay attention to.

Harry

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice writing mbob.

I only pay attention to the garlic guard stuff.

People really should not use these kinds of somewhat unnatural stuff in order to get their Piranhas eat more eagerly. In general there is nothing wrong with Piranhas eat habits. They really eat well in aquarium care.
It is a completely another issue if Piranhas are not eating well. You see the loss of appetite is not the cause of any problem, loss of appetite is a symptom of some bigger problem. That might be water quality issues or some sickness. Surely garlic is not a way to treat that.

Just to make sure people here are not trying to hide or put aside the real issue they should pay attention to.

Harry
i was told by my lfs owner that he tried it with his ps and it worked as well...mine are eating fine but i wanted to see if there was the nutricional value you to it not just an additive. i agree though about keeping food as natural as possible!

thanks 4 the info!~

peace

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Garlic is used to get finicky eaters to accept foods. Granted, there are other values to adding garlic to their food (e.g. helps repeal parasites, boost immune system, etc.), but it is best to only use garlic if really needed.

Other than that, glad to hear that you are feeding them a nice healthy mix.

Oh, try not to feed to much Salmon. It is an oily fish that can make your tank smell and develop on oil "slick" on the top of the water.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Garlic is used to get finicky eaters to accept foods. Granted, there are other values to adding garlic to their food (e.g. helps repeal parasites, boost immune system, etc.), but it is best to only use garlic if really needed.

Other than that, glad to hear that you are feeding them a nice healthy mix.

Oh, try not to feed to much Salmon. It is an oily fish that can make your tank smell and develop on oil "slick" on the top of the water.
mine really enjoyed catfish filets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts