Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my 250w metalhalide yesterday and im so freeking happy!!

now to the question, will i be able to keep Microsorum pteropus and Vesicularia dubyana if the tank is a 120 gallon tank? will the light be enought?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thats enough MORE than enough light for both plants, they should grow like mad in there. You might want to consider getting some kind of Hygrophilia in there, if you've got a lot of nutrients in a tank with halides, you'll have a ton of alage without something to suck up the nutrients. I'd throw some Glossostigma right under that halide, that'd be ownage.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
not to burst your bubble, but metal halide bulbs only will sufficently light 1' in either dirrection, so for a 6' tank, you would need 3 bulbs. but you can always contain the plants to the section of the tank dirrectly under the bulb. but anyways, if the plants are under the bulb, they will flourish.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why are so you mean? bastard, distroying for me when im so happy...

nah just kidding :rasp: i know that so i placed my lamp around 10 inches above the water to make the light spread a bit more, ill post pics later on today if i got the time

·
Registered
49 Posts
mh lights will light an area in proportion to the angles of the reflector, with a large reflector you can light a much larger area without loosing too much of the intensity, where i work we make mh lights to light up fish farms and believe me 2 400w bulbs can light up a 30' X30' pen easy

·
Registered
589 Posts
Haha, bright lights and your P's are no where to be found! Look at them there in the dark corner

Are they like that all the time now?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they will soon get used to it, have kept them with bright lights before so dont worry about them, and btw ill probably swtich them in for cash this weekend and buy discus

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.