Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i got these new lights, they dont work yet, i gotta put a 8t fixture or whatever. so i probabaly will next week.

these lights are 48" one is blue and one is white, they are only 40w. its a "resun" brand, the white one says "10,000k" and the blue one doesnt say anything, it says "for fresh water" on it, and that its safe with fresh water plants. i just want to make sure, is it going to give my aquarium better color instead of the yellow tinge im getting right now from these flourescents?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
The blue artinic is for color enhancement and will not harm your plants. The lower the Kelvin (yellow color), the better for plants.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
The blue artinic is for color enhancement and will not harm your plants. The lower the Kelvin (yellow color), the better for plants.
True, blue actinics are commonly 18.000 - 20.000 Kelvin.
But they are not recommended to used in a fresh water system.
So if a bulb has a text "for freshwater" on it, it is not a blue actinic blub.

Harry

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
True actinic bulbs are measured in Nanometers not Kelvin. They should be 420 nm - 460 nm.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
BMWs with the H.I.D. (blue) headlight only run a bulb with 7000Kmax....so if you have a tank bulb with 18,000K you are going to cook you fish

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True, blue actinics are commonly 18.000 - 20.000 Kelvin.
But they are not recommended to used in a fresh water system.
So if a bulb has a text "for freshwater" on it, it is not a blue actinic blub.

Harry
[/quote]

this is a true Actinic bulb. its a white 10 000k, and a 40 watt, and a blue actinic, 40 watt he said the K is basically off the chart. so this is bad? he said it was fine, and it says "fresh water safe" on the box

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Well I think more technical details won't much help here.
This is basically a question what is safe and what is good for plants.
Yes a Marine bulb (like Arcadia Marine Blue Actinic, 400-480 nm or 20.000 K Metal Halide Bulb) is also safe for fresh water plants. But it is not enough for them and surely not optimal for freshwater plants growth.

For that purpose you need nothing more than a broad spectrum 5.000 - 8.000 Kelvin white daylight bulb.

Harry

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Well I think more technical details won't much help here.
This is basically a question what is safe and what is good for plants.
Yes a Marine bulb (like Arcadia Marine Blue Actinic, 400-480 nm or 20.000 K Metal Halide Bulb) is also safe for fresh water plants. But it is not enough for them and surely not optimal for freshwater plants growth.

For that purpose you need nothing more than a broad spectrum 5.000 - 8.000 Kelvin white daylight bulb.

Harry
you got it

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what if im not using fresh water plants? i tried my snakeheads just uproot them. so i kinda got away from it,

i might switch over to salt water (not forsure) after this, i know this lighting is not good for coral, but would it be okay for the fish and just rock and stuff?

basically my question is, is this sh*t going to harm fish in my tank,

its 1 10 000k bulb, 4 foot bulb for a 6 foot tank btw, and a 4 foot blue actinic bulb in a 4 foot as well. will it be okay?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts