Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi, I've been reading these forums for awhile now and have noticed that you guys give really good advice to less experienced hobbyists such as myself, so I thought I would try to get a bit of advice here. First off, i've been just running a small community (30 gal) tank for about three months now and things have gone excellent. I just recently acquired a rather large acryllic tank from my uncle (I didn't remember it to be this big, apparently it was a different tank his friend had gave him). The tank is 180 gal wide or 6"x2"x2". He told me that it used to be the home of an expensive Arowana. He gave me the tank because he didn't want to deal with his house being flooded by the water cause of the frequent earthquakes in San Francisco. I guess my question is what I need to get for it. I have lights, a cover, and a base for it, but I need to know what kind of filtration to get. It has one cannister filter but he said it needed another one. He recommended a wet/dry system for it, so i'm a little bit interesting on knowing more about that. We also got about five buckets of coral sand (not sure if that is okay with freshwater setups) as well as some other smaller things, such as a powerhead. I also would like to know about cleaning it, whether to use chemicals or not. I know for my 30 gal, I used a liquid bleech/water mix over night and then let it air dry for a day. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
What will this tank be used for?

~Dj

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Coral is ok, i used it for cichlids. But wash it off really good. Make sure to get all the salt off. Let the bleach evaporate then rinse a few times and let it it evaporate also. You can get another cannister filter like a fluval 404 or a ehiem pro ll 2028 and a powerfilter like an ac 500 or whisper. That will give you a good amount of filtration. You can also go with a wet dry, but they can get a little pricey. But are worth it for biolodgical filtration. But with my cannisters i have never seen them not do a good job either.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know theres problem an ancient topic on this, but i want to know which is better, canister filtration or a wet dry setup. i know that wet dry is better for long term and stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts