Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finnally had it. The male con went for the denti's face and left a big scar on the upper lip. I dont have the space to set up his real 33gal home yet so I moved him into the 10 gal feeder tank. The tank has been cycling for 10 days with about 12 goldies and it was running on a filter taken off the already established 20 gal long. Tested the parameters today and all was good. So I fed the feeders to my reds and cons but left 4 one inch goldies in the tank. Added pool filter sand ( thanks eltwich for the cleaning how to), added wood and a fake plant ( from 20gal tank), and switched the ac mini for an ac 150 ( from the same established 20 gal). Threw in the 3 inch denti with the 4 goldies and the P seems real happy, swimming alot. Just wanted to know if this 10 gal setup will do untill I find space for his 33gal and did I take the proper steps to ready the tank? And if its ok for him to be with the goldies in a heated tank? Thanks.

By the way this is my first sand tank and it is sick. Sand is definately the way to go. Just wish that pool filter sand came in a darker color than white. Still 50lb bag for 7$. Who can argue! Wish I had a digi cam to show u guys.

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Are you kidding me? White sand is the sh*t

Three inch fish in a ten gallon is actually alright, he could probably grow another inch before he'd be at his maximum size for that tank. Another way to look at it as well is that a slightly small tank to himself is still much better than a nice big tank where he's getting the crap beaten out of him.

As for did you set everything up ok, I would have to say that you did everything exactly as you should have. Established filter, properly washed sand (you're welcome
), heater, everything sounds just about ideal. The only thing I would have done differently is a 40% water change in that feeder tank before putting the dent in because feeders are nasty fish who foul up water big time. No big deal though, just do the water change tonight and you're good to go.

Sounds like everything is set dude, he'll be fine while you set his other tank up, and don't feel bad about a convict beating up your piranha, convicts are mean as sh*t and dents are pretty peaceful as far as piranhas go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not thread stealing or anything but I just wanted to know how fast do Dents grow. My cousin went to the lfs and picked up a supposedly red belly but it doesn't look like a rbp. He's about 2.5-3" but hasn't really grown much at all. And he also does not have as many dots on his sides like my rb's plus it's lower jaw isn't as big as mine. If you had some pics it would be great.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are some old pics of dents in the ID forum from a montreal guy who got some from the same lfs. Oh and eltwitch, I forgot to mention that I did do a 30% change and added water from his old tank before introducing the P. White sand is great but it just dosnt offer enuff contrast for a silver denti, u know. I put an all black bkgrnd though. So guys, we can buy more tanned color pool sands? how many shades exist?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts