Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first piranha yesterday. Well I think I did at least. I got the fish at Big Al's aquarium services. They told me that it is a Red breasted piranha. Well I cannot find any info about that kind of fish anywhere on the web. I did find a picture of a pacu that loooked alot like my fish. So I am little confused. I included a pic of some piranha that are pretty much identical to mine. I know its not the best but its all I could find.Tell me what you think.

??? ???

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Red breasted piranha = Red bellied piranha = Pygocentrus Nattereri.

Good luck with your new pick-up!

Btw: did you buy one of those fish?
If so, I'd suggest you get at least two more: reds are shoaling fish, so a loner will probably be very shy and boring... Don't get two in total though: one will probably kill the other, because all they can do is vent their agression on each other. So get at least two extra, so the agression is more evenly spread...

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
welcome to the board ,it does sound like you have red belly p's and as judazzz advised it is better to have more than 1 but not 2.
too tell the difference between piranha and pacu you look at the jaw the bottom jaw on a piranha is more pronounced.
as far as getting info just read all the posts as it is good to have at least a basic understanding of the fish and how to care for them any questions you want answering just ask and they will be answered

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
overbite said:
too tell the difference between piranha and pacu you look at the jaw the bottom jaw on a piranha is more pronounced.
Also, I've noticed that baby pacu's (1-2") already have a much more red belly at an younger age, and their tail fin is much larger...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Red breasted piranha are also known as Medinae. I doubt you picked up a red belly because it would have been marked that. Even the sh*t lfs still mark those "Red Bellies"

·
Registered
105 Posts
Throw in some feeders. If he eats them then he is a Red Belly. If he eats plants then he is a Pacu. Look at the lower jaw. A piranhas lower jaw sticks out over the upper jaw like a bulldog. The pacu's doesn't.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
piranha13 said:
Throw in some feeders. If he eats them then he is a Red Belly. If he eats plants then he is a Pacu. Look at the lower jaw. A piranhas lower jaw sticks out over the upper jaw like a bulldog. The pacu's doesn't.
if it eats the feeders, it COULD be a red belly piranha, or a pacu, or another kind of piranha.
this is not a good test for identification.
somewhere on this site - I don't know where, I did look for you - their is a post which I posted about a month ago which is called "pics of piranhas usefull for identification" you might find it helpful, if you can find it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.