Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
my wife got me a penguin 200 bio-wheel for my 28gal for x-mas. i know she got it on sale and we have a rather tight budget. i have a diy co2 setup and 65w light. i am currently using a whisper 20-40 with flow turned low as i am concerned about suface agition. if this penguin filter is a bad idea should i exchange it or is it ok? store won't refund and i think she paid like 28 bucks for it.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Sorry to say but it is probably a bad idea... biowheels create tons of surface agitation while the biowheels are running... you could choose not to run them though then that would ruin the whole purpose of the filter which is to be a biological filter mainly. I would say if you could get store credit do that, and as nicely as possible explain to your wife that you love it and love her but it will cause you headaches if you keep it and ruin the whole CO2 setup you have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i didn't think it would be good for my setup. store will give me credit and my wife isn't insulted, she knows i'm happy that she would even consider getting me somthing for my tank. as far as the filter i am currently running, it seems to do a decent job and i have the water level high enough that it doesn't create alot of surface agitation. i would like to get a canester type but they cost too much. maybe someone out there has a used one for sale??

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
yep. the design of the emps and peguins are with the idea of exposing as much water to air as possible. While for bio filtration this is great, for CO2 injected tanks it is quite counter productive.
I would deff take it back and lo0ok into getting a cannister so you can drop the return as far below the surface as possible.

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
Magnum HOT filters work very well in planted tanks.. I don't know what they cost though

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts