Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fellas, I'm one step closer to finishing up my tank. I have the plywood frame all built, and just finished with all of my glass cutting. I'm already getting pumped, now I just have to sand the edges, and was wondering, has anyone ever done a considerable amount of glass seaming and sanding? I'm wondering how aggressive of a sandpaper I can use on my belt sander without creating too much heat. I have been using 60 grit, and that seems to be ok, but it takes forever and a frickin' week, I was wondering if I can go down to 40 grit, or if that'll screw me. Any help will be appreciated. I'll have it all up and running by next saturday if everything goes well!!, I'll have to borrow a digital camera to post pics of my whole homemade setup "it really ties the room together"

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
if your sanding wood 40 grit is fine. wood is excellent at transfering heat, so it wont build up heat very easily.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the confusion

[/QUOTE]and just finished with all of my glass cutting. I'm already getting pumped, now I just have to sand the edges, and was wondering, has anyone ever done a considerable amount of glass seaming and sanding?
It's 3/8 inch glass, and I'm just trying to speed up the sanding process without heating up the glass too much, it gets hot and stays hot for a long time, just wondering if anyone's ever done it with like building a sump or anything. Thanks for any help you can offer

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Did ya try wet sanding?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I didn't have access to a wet sander, we sold off our mirror business a few years back, and so I had to go with dry sanding. I had mostly good edges, but there was one sketchy corner in the top, I siliconed the sh*t out of it, and hopefully it'll stay, I'm letting it cure for 2 days before I touch it again, and then I'm gonna fill it with water and pray!! I don't have a digital camera, but as soon as I have access to it, I'll show pix of the whole deal. I built a huge loft with the fish tank on the bottom, and my entertainment center up high, it's pretty pimp, so hopefully this tank will hold water!!!! Otherwise, I'm out a few hundred bucks. I would've bought one, but there's no such thing as buying a tank that big in North Dakota. They just plain don't have them. If I were to ship one here from God knows where, it woulda cost like 800 bucks, so all I can do now is hope that my craftsmanship is as good as I think it is!! I'll post pix as soon as I can

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finished it all up, I got 2 coats of silicone on every seam and smoothed them all, right now it seems like they're all firmed up, I"m gonna let it cure for another few days to make sure the seams are all right. Then it's testout time. Anyone know how much sand I should put in a 150 gallon tank to have plants planted in there? I'd like to plant them right from the start, do you need like 3" or what? I'm getting all of the sand from my lake cabin, so it's no biggie either way, I'll just get more if I need it, but it'd be nice to know. Also, if I bring sand from the lake, will it already have the necessary bacteria in it to cycle the tank?? I'm wondering if it'll cut down extremely on the time it takes to get my tank all up and running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts