Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Eric two of them died last night!
Not your bad, I just dont know what happened. They were all doing just fine yesterday and didnt even seem fazed/stressed by the transport.
I woke up this morning and the 5" caribe and thick 7" rbp were laying dead on the gravel. The other large rbp and 3" oscar are doing fine and are playful right now. I have not checked water parameters yet so I dont know the exact cause. :sad:
Other than if the water is bad, what could have caused 2 new fish to die and 2 other fish in tank to be just fine?

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
whoa!!!!!!!!!!! sorry dude fo reeal i know that hurt friggin caribe loss sorry dude

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Man sorry for your loss that sucks. I whould check ammonia levels and nitrites. Your fish will build a resistance if the levels rise high. when you add new ones they cant adjust to those levels that fast. Or vise versa.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked the ammonia nitrates/nitrites and all are fine. Only thing i can think of is overcrowding and lack of oxygen.
I have an 85 gallon truvu octagon. (less surface area, i know). temp is also only at 79 degrees.
There was a total of four fish in there. (1) small oscar, (2) 7" rbp's and (1) caribe before the two died. I only have a fluval 404 as filtration. Today I added a powerhead 402 that is shooting alot of bubbles everywhere. hopefully that'll solve everything since im in the markert for other pygos again.
I think this is a cool board that i stumbled across a few months ago. With all your condolences i feel like we are in a culture of our own. Piranha culture .lol.

Yeah eric's a cool dude so i dont want him to feel bad.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
wtf!!! nOoOOoO my favortie cariba. that is the fish i love most out of all the fish i had. =( i dont know what to say dude. im feel bad once again. is there something weird with my water? i just use tap. and add chlorine remover. is there like some different water chemistry in san jose and walnut creek? i also delivered some baby RBs to this other guy down in downtown san jose and so far his are doing ok. werent the carbia beating up your oscar 15 mins after you dumped him into your tank? if so then he seems fine too me. i really dont know what is wrong but if throughbred and flexxxn give me your reading on your tank i will compare with mine and see what the difference. i do a 25-30% water change everyweek. infact i did one the day before you picked it up. your RBs we traded are doing fine. so i dont know if its water chemistry or not bro. because if it was water chemistry that cause the deaths shouldnt your RBs that we traded die already. this is kinda wack. i dont know what to say guys expect for sorry? then again i dont know why im sorry but im just in a awe of words at this moment. i really didnt want to give up my cariba but i knew it was going to a good owner. but to have him die due to unkown reason pisses me off. PM is sent to you flexxxn. as for throughbred, how are your 5 RBs doing? even though i sell my fish collection once a while i always do check up on them. i grow very attach to fish i like. i still ask for updates on my rhom rhomzilla has. =)

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
one more question, where the cariba or RB damaged in any way (body damage. it may be hard to tell because your other RB may have bite them after they die.) any signs of fighting if there were body damage? octagon tank.... maybe overcrowding... but i still dont see how they can die overnight. if anything they would have fought for space and kill the oscar first. and the cariba for shure would be the last to go. one last thing, can you cut open the fat RBs stomach for eggs? i always wanted to know if she was fat or had eggs. hehe. still sad!

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
ok! i think i found the reason why it died. a ocatgon tank i believe is tall. not much in length. with just a fluval 404 (pumps 350 gph) is more than enough for a 85g (turn over rate about 4-5times). but! is not enough for a tall tank. if memory serves me right, the deepers your tank is the less amount of oxygen is found in the deeper parts. naturally piranhas strive in lower and lower mid parts of the the swimming space that is provided. ultimatly for 1 small oscar and 3 big fish would lead to death due to lack of oxygen. as flexxxen stated when i was talking to him at first, he said that his roomate saw the P's grasp for air when flexxxn was not at home. sorrie for not posting all at once but im very concerned about the death of these fish. i really had an attachment to those fish. the more i think about it, the more reasons i can come out with "why my fish died". but i dont want to babble but this is the most reasonable theory i had for their deaths.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah E, my only explanation would be lack of oxygen too. My roommate saw all the fishes gasping for air at about midnight. I got home at about 6 am and the two were already dead.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eric your gonna be mad,
I just cut open the dead rbp, (the thicker one is the one that died) and i found a belly full of eggs. There were hundreds if not thousands of them.
WHAT A TRAGEDY

The only surviving p is doing just fine. I am confused,angry, sad all mixed in one.
Oh well i guess ill just go on and try to find another. nothing else i can do.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Sorry to hear that, better luck next time...think about getting a 85 long!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
flexxxn said:
Eric your gonna be mad,
I just cut open the dead rbp, (the thicker one is the one that died) and i found a belly full of eggs. There were hundreds if not thousands of them.
Flexxxn, if you still have the dead RBP that you found to have eggs.. would you mind taking a pix of it (gills, fins, body, head structure, color, egg pouch..etc) so that it can give up a step foreward in acknowledging a pregnant female RB's features? It would really help and can be posted in the tutorials.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
i think i can tell now. since i had them for a while i can tell which is the female and which is the male from behavioral observation. i also know how they do the mating dance and such. if you guys are intrested PM me and i call tell you how i got to breeding them. since i have 11 right now i will try to breed them again. i told flexxxen and i have posted it up in the buy/sell forum that i had 2 RBs and i bleieve they were breeding but no1 listen expect cool as flexxxen.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.