Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am fairly new to the Piranha hobby. Ive had 3 baby reds for about 5 days now. 2 of them are about 2", the other one is 1.5". Now, for some reason the smaller one is always swimming around my tank, eating like a fiend when I put food in, and chases the guppy I have in there. While the two other bigger ones hang out around my heater, not doing much of anything. Is this normal? Ive also noticed on the larger piranha they have had some their tail fins bitten off, but the smaller one hasnt been touched. Any idea whats going on?

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
just looks to me like you have a slightly more aggresive P thn the other 2, usually when you get a bunch of P's they all have thier own characteristics,,,,,,,,,

the other 2 maybe havent settled in as well as the smaller one, i found that when i had babies they all had thier own temperment, im sure yours will be no different

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
give them a few weeks to come out of thier shell, and get used to thier new surroundings.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hello everyone. I am fairly new to the Piranha hobby. Ive had 3 baby reds for about 5 days now. 2 of them are about 2", the other one is 1.5". Now, for some reason the smaller one is always swimming around my tank, eating like a fiend when I put food in, and chases the guppy I have in there. While the two other bigger ones hang out around my heater, not doing much of anything. Is this normal? Ive also noticed on the larger piranha they have had some their tail fins bitten off, but the smaller one hasnt been touched. Any idea whats going on?
Normal behavior, some Piranhas are just more aggresive then others.

Your bigger Piranhas might have fins nipped because while you are not watching, they are problably spending a lot of time fighting and stablishing a pecking order.

Hater

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
its all normal piranhas are AGRESSIVE FISH thats why we have them :laugh:
:laugh:
un true...i bet u only 1/2 the ppl here such as myself keep the fish for looks and what not...not because they're aggressive...sure they chase down feeders and rip them to shredds..they do that to shrimp i toss in too...i think they're gorgeous fish, and i wouldnt trade them for any other

·
Registered
308 Posts
give it some time theyll all be swimming together..check the temp on the tank if its at a good temperature because when i first got my rbps the smallest one would always pick on the bigger ones lol funny to watch

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I guess ill give you guys an update. Looks like they are finally coming out of their shell so to speak. The guppy I had in there for company is now gone, and they are starting to swim around freely. It is quite amazing to see them shred the silversides I feed them. Looks like they are going to do quite well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts