Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, it ended up being a 75 gallon tank. I am eventually going to put my 4 reds in there that are in the thirty gal soon. this is what I have on the tank running.

1. I have a 300 watt all glass heater
2. AquaClear 110 AND Emperor 280 (160 gallons worth of filtration on a 75)
3. Airstone

I double dosed cycle, and added 90 gallons worth of Bio-Spira. I ended up having to put my 3 one inchers in there because they were nipping at each other and one of them has a chunk taken out of his back. i hope he makes it. But I HAD to put them in the 75 for now. Soon the big ones will be in there I just didnt want to take the chance of losing them to a new tank.

But I took gravel from my old tank and the filter from my thirty gallon and placed them in the emperor, and put the driftwood from my old tank in there with it to speed up the process. Do you think the ps will be okay in the tank? The Bio-Spira says

"Bio-Spira accelerates the establishment of your bio-filter in newly set-up aquaria. Bio Spira contains patented and patent pending strains of nitrosomonas, nitrosospira and nitrospira bacteria. Bio-spira is the only product that works overnight in freshwater aquariums to eliminate fish loss due to ammonia and nitrite toxicity.... For new aquariums, firts condition water and adjust temperature. Add Bio-Spira and Bio-Coat, ALONG WITH YOUR FISH...."

So does that mean the tank is SAFE for the bigger ones yet? bio-Spira claims you dont have to "cycle" the tank. Will my little guys survive, and will the tank be cycled for the bigger reds soon?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
You can always find it out by measuring the NH4 (ammonium) and NO2 (nitrite) levels. They should be as close to zero as possible all the time (< 0.5 mg/litre).

Harry

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Harry is saying (never to speak for you Harry) that you can find out if the tank is fully cycled by testing the NH4 and NO2. Both of those should read zero, and only NO3 should remain. The NO3 is best under 40ppm at least (IMO).

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well its only been 4 days now. They are still alive and doing fine. The Nitrites are zero and nitrates are starting to form. ammonia is between 0 and .25.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
i would change 20g or so every 2-3 days to keep the ammonia down

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Your just going to have to wait out the cycle. Like said above once NH4 and NO2 levels read zero than your tank is cycled it should be speed up by the BioSpira. Keep a close eye on your P's so you dont lose any. Good luck.

·
I will bite your face&#33;
7,436 Posts
change no water. leave it and ride it out. DOn't put the main fish in untill you are sure that it is established that means 0 ammonia 0 nitrITES and 0-40ppm NitRATES.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts