Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 125 gallon tank. I will be putting my 9 rb in. Local pet store owner advsed me that the best filtration is to run undergravel with three power heads and possible a fourth small power head on bottom of tank for current. Said will keep tank clean wthout cost of constantly changing canister filters. Does this sound like good advice or does anyone have better set up for me. There are no plants in this tank and I have gravel for bottom.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Stay away from the ugf's my friend-Nothing but trouble there-Your best bet would be a wet/dry-or a sump-But the next best options would be a couple canisters!!!!

·
06 C6 LS2
7,996 Posts
Stay away from the ugf's my friend-Nothing but trouble there-Your best bet would be a wet/dry-or a sump-But the next best options would be a couple canisters!!!!
X2

my 125 has 2 fluval 404's

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
My LFS recommended a FX5 or two fluval 405 canisters and not to go for the wet-dry. Wet-dry setup is best for saltwater. I just purchased a used 135 gal and will be buying a FX5 soon..

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
My LFS recommended a FX5 or two fluval 405 canisters and not to go for the wet-dry. Wet-dry setup is best for saltwater. I just purchased a used 135 gal and will be buying a FX5 soon..
[/quote]

Smack him next time for me please!!!!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
[/quote]

Smack him next time for me please!!!!
[/quote]

Why? please educate me AK!

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Sorry-credit goes to arnold for this post though-it's not my info!!!!

The whole idea behind a w/d is getting water to trickle through all the bioball/media for maximum biological filtration. That will not always happen due to blockage or uneven trickle, so its best to check your system's trickle thats why most w/d are made of acrylic. For cheaper systems such as the rubbermaid design a spray bar will quickly solve the uneven drip tray and sight tube on the bottm of the rubbermaid container will allow for viewing the water level. As Dennis pointed out the rubbermaid tub will bow, but keeping the minimum amount of water for flow back to the tank will quickly reduce the bow in the sump. The garbage can is a good idea. Only problem is ease of getting to the pump. Otherwise the longer vertical height allows for water to travel through several bioballs/media before it is returned to the tank. Thats an advantage! Design it and run with it!

http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.ph...=134962&hl=

http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.ph...=131117&hl=

http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.ph...=130979&hl=

http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.ph...=121677&hl=

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The whole idea behind a w/d is getting water to trickle through all the bioball/media for maximum biological filtration. That will not always happen due to blockage or uneven trickle, so its best to check your system's trickle thats why most w/d are made of acrylic. For cheaper systems such as the rubbermaid design a spray bar will quickly solve the uneven drip tray and sight tube on the bottm of the rubbermaid container will allow for viewing the water level. As Dennis pointed out the rubbermaid tub will bow, but keeping the minimum amount of water for flow back to the tank will quickly reduce the bow in the sump. The garbage can is a good idea. Only problem is ease of getting to the pump. Otherwise the longer vertical height allows for water to travel through several bioballs/media before it is returned to the tank. Thats an advantage! Design it and run with it!

Thanks AK for the info!! W/D is not really suitable if you dont time to spend on. More water trickle, more evaporation will happen. Therefore you must refill it with water many times out of the week. If not, the pump will burn out. Thus, sometime, the cannisters is your best bet.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts

Thanks AK for the info!! W/D is not really suitable if you dont time to spend on. More water trickle, more evaporation will happen. Therefore you must refill it with water many times out of the week. If not, the pump will burn out. Thus, sometime, the cannisters is your best bet.
[/quote]

Never a problem sir-W/d is an excellent way to go-

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

[/quote]

Never a problem sir-W/d is an excellent way to go-
[/quote]

I agree, no doubt about that! but im just putting out some suggestions. If you have a power outtage or something like that, you'll get alot of water on your floor. Dont forget the smell that comes from a w/d.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts