Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...em.php?news=419

Angler rereleases piranha in river
A Dutch angler has caught a piranha in a Netherlands river, and then let it go again.

According to News Interactive, the angler was unsure as to what species of fish he'd hooked, so he took a photograph of it before releasing it into the river.

The angler told ANP: "I thought because of the red belly that it was a red rock-bass."

News Interactive says that a fellow angler later identified the catch as a Red-bellied piranha, Pygocentrus nattereri.

This South American characoid is the most common species of piranha in captivity and was probably illegally released into the river by an irresponsible fishkeeper.

· Breaki'n all day...
4,256 Posts
what kind of asshole releases it into a river?
if you don't want it anymore, there are tons of ways you can get rid of it.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
Yeah, it happens from time to time (I've heard of about 5 instances last year).
But they can't survive our winters.

In most cases the fish caught are Pacu, but still the media go apeshit, screaming about the capture of a bloodthirsty monster and all...
If they knew how f*cking ridiculous they look, I'm sure they'd keep their traps shut

· Registered
2,161 Posts
Judazzz said:
Yeah, it happens from time to time (I've heard of about 5 instances last year).
But they can't survive our winters.

In most cases the fish caught are Pacu, but still the media go apeshit, screaming about the capture of a bloodthirsty monster and all...
If they knew how f*cking ridiculous they look, I'm sure they'd keep their traps shut

[snapback]871420[/snapback]​
its funny to see pics of "piranha's" when there really pacu.

· Registered
10,481 Posts
Phtstrat Posted Today, 11:03 AM
QUOTE(Sheriff Freak @ Jan 31 2005, 03:40 PM)
its funny to see pics of "piranha's" when there really pacu.

Its not so funny, however, when people start trying to ban hobbyists from owning them, like they are in Oregon.
Exactly my point after all these years of preaching, Please do not release unwanted pet fish.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
Natt King Shoal said:
This was probably the instance you heard last year. The article dates August 18, 2004.
[snapback]871924[/snapback]​
There were a few independant cases - one of them indeed was a Redbellied Piranha, but the others were Pacu's...
I've been looking for links or pictures, but wasn't able to find anything

· Registered
284 Posts
hastatus said:
Judazzz, perhaps writing to the newspaper and they might put you in touch with that individual. Perhaps he will furnish the photo and we can resolve this issue?
[snapback]871978[/snapback]​
here it is :the picture with the hooked fish is the one for the Netherlands

http://www.natuurinformatie.nl/nnm.dossier...nl/i003253.html

the fish was id'ed by an biologist of a local ZOO (ecodrome) as a natt

greetz

· Registered
1,585 Posts
I hate the negativity people give things blindly! WOW people make me mad! They should all read real info on p's before they start saying how bad p's are. Plus we should hunt the guy down who releases a captive fish into the wild! Wow I was 13 when I had a manganeese cichlid outgrow my 20 gallon tank. I lived near the river too, but I took him to the lfs and got trade in value! I was 13 and I knew not to release him! WOW we dont need this crap!
to dump press!
to that ps orig. owner!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.