Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my way home from work, I stopped by a local fish shop and bought 4 small neon tetra. I wanted to see if my pygo natts are ready for live feeders. The moment I dropped one in, a group of them just swam after it trying to get it but the neon is too quick. Should I cut off the neon's tail fin so it can't swim? lol It's funny watching my pygo natts trying to get it but can't.

I didn't use goldfish, instead I got neons.. are neons good to feed piranhas? It was a little pricey.. $1.19 for one.

EDIT: They just got him!! He hid under the driftwood and one snuck behind him and caught it in it's mouth, a few joined in and bit some pieces off.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
a small ass fish like that isnt gonna give much to ur piranhas to "grow" on.

feed them stuff that u read on here or go for LARGE feeders when they are ready (when they are at like 5-6") IF u have to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a small ass fish like that isnt gonna give much to ur piranhas to "grow" on.

feed them stuff that u read on here or go for LARGE feeders when they are ready (when they are at like 5-6") IF u have to.
They're abouth 2.8 - 3.5 inch now. I browse through alot of the thread here but I haven't seen anything regarding LIVE LARGE FEEDERS. Mind directing me to the right place

I read about frozen fish and frozen food, I just wanted to try something that's alive to see what their agression level is at.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
I guess the healthiest LIVE "LARGE" fish u can use is a good sized cichlid....like a convict or what not.

but u should wait off till ur p's are a bit larger, its not worth it to introduce live food to them rite now. @ 5-6" they will make quick work of a good sized feeder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the healthiest LIVE "LARGE" fish u can use is a good sized cichlid....like a convict or what not.

but u should wait off till ur p's are a bit larger, its not worth it to introduce live food to them rite now. @ 5-6" they will make quick work of a good sized feeder.
Yepp, I'll wait another another 2-3 months. A cichlid will own my pygo natts. LOL

·
Registered
450 Posts
you've got 24 3" p's in a 55g they will tear anything apart......is this a temp housing untill u get a huge tank or something????

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
It is okay to get live fish from the pet store once in a while as treats for your piranhas, as long as they are not sold as feeders (in my opinion). Just remember there is always a risk of parasites and disease when feeding live fish.

As a staple in your piranhas' diet, you should keep it dead whitefish fillet and shrimp, krill, clam muscle, etc.
~Taylor~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts