Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

It's been awhile since I've posted on this site. I've had this "Gold Belly P" for about 4 years now almost but still feel like a newb. I have him in a 75gal by himself with natural color gravel, some fake plants, a fake and a plastic driftwood arch. I have been feeding him freeze dried krill the last year or so and he's taken a liking to it. I have recently found that shrimp is way cheeper at $2 for a 1/2 pound then paying $4.50 for the freeze dried stuff he's been eating. So far he's taking to it. Once a week or so I drop in about a 1/2 dozen comet goldfish for him as a treat. I have the temp at about 79 and outside of that don't really know what else I could do to better the water besides running the mag 350 and another bigger over head filter on it. He's not an overtly aggressive fish and usually eats feeders when we're not looking.

I am basically looking at what I can do to best suit this fish's tank possible. What are it's needs? Variety of foods? Temp? Live Plants? Drift wood? Sand or gravel? Anything! It's been awhile since I've only had one fish and I want to make sure he's spoiled since he's all I have. Any feed back on this guy would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,417 Posts
im guessing your talking about spilos
if you feed him feeders is probably better to keep them in a seperate tank then feed them to him one at a time

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
agree if your gonna feed him feeders keep them in a sepret tank for awhile to "clean" the fish. and if your talking about a spilo. good choice man should be happy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a separate tank yet that I can keep up for feeders. I usually by a few once a week from my local fish store for him and give them to him on the weekend. But yes, I believe from what I know and have heard that he's a member of the spilo family.

·
Registered
726 Posts
gold belly? im gonna go with the guy above me and say spilo 75 is a good tank for him just be careful with those feeders and watch out for the gold fish feeders they arnt good for your fish

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the feeders part down. I did have a hole in head scare with him a couple months ago. I watch it very closely. Feeders are just one of the fringe benefits and joys of owning a piranha. It's fun to watch them rip stuff up! Like I said too, I'm starting to feed him shrimp if he keeps to them.

What else can I do and change about my current set up to better his health and environment?

I am also curious, does anyone know how big this particular spilo gets? I've heard and seen them up to 8".

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
he is just a spilo, its the species, there arent any other kinds of spilo. ive heard of them getting 10" but im not positive.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Hey All!

It's been awhile since I've posted on this site. I've had this "Gold Belly P" for about 4 years now almost but still feel like a newb. I have him in a 75gal by himself with natural color gravel, some fake plants, a fake and a plastic driftwood arch. I have been feeding him freeze dried krill the last year or so and he's taken a liking to it. I have recently found that shrimp is way cheeper at $2 for a 1/2 pound then paying $4.50 for the freeze dried stuff he's been eating. So far he's taking to it. Once a week or so I drop in about a 1/2 dozen comet goldfish for him as a treat. I have the temp at about 79 and outside of that don't really know what else I could do to better the water besides running the mag 350 and another bigger over head filter on it. He's not an overtly aggressive fish and usually eats feeders when we're not looking.

I am basically looking at what I can do to best suit this fish's tank possible. What are it's needs? Variety of foods? Temp? Live Plants? Drift wood? Sand or gravel? Anything! It's been awhile since I've only had one fish and I want to make sure he's spoiled since he's all I have. Any feed back on this guy would be appreciated!
if ur looking for a natural theme for the tank I suggest you planted......that would look very nice setting up a envirnment with lots of plants and some really nice pieces of driftwood.......you can also buy the little bad boy a power head so it could swim around in the current...Serraselmus species like current due to the ecosystem, in the wild....Your spilo would love water changes every week......As for the food, try to stay 90% ON WHITE FISH FILLETS becuase in the wild they do so.....recommend you to feed shrimp, tilapia, beaf hearts, krill, and hakiri cichlid gold pellets for its vitamins...This will help bring out the color in your fish...good luck with you spilo

jim

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I got the feeders part down. I did have a hole in head scare with him a couple months ago. I watch it very closely. Feeders are just one of the fringe benefits and joys of owning a piranha. It's fun to watch them rip stuff up! Like I said too, I'm starting to feed him shrimp if he keeps to them.

What else can I do and change about my current set up to better his health and environment?

I am also curious, does anyone know how big this particular spilo gets? I've heard and seen them up to 8".
the decorations is all up to you my man...you could try and go with the low wattage live plants and fill your tank right up, change the substrate if you want...just make sure those feeders are q'teed so your fish doesnt get sick..great tank for a fish liek that tho :nod:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried some amazon swords, I believe they were, in my tank with some cichlids and they did okay for awhile but there might not have been enough nutrients for the 3 that I had in there. I've looked a little at the plant forum discussions and gotten a little advice from them.

What kind of low light plants do you recomend? and how many would be too much?
And would the plants grow okay in gravel or would sand be better?

"you can also buy the little bad boy a power head so it could swim around in the current...Serraselmus species like current due to the ecosystem, in the wild.."

Just one more note onto this previous post. Don't most power heads stick to undergravel filter pipes? or do they just stick to the side with suction cups? I've got a pretty good filter in there for current. A mag 350. It puts out a little bit of pressure. I'll check it all out!

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
undergravel filters are pointless. powerheads usually have a suction attachment and a hang on attachment. you cant have too many plants and java moss is a great low light plant. if you wanna qoute someone hit this button
under their post and then click add reply, it should be there. i think that covers everything...

ps- welcome to the site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay guys... Here's what i'm trying thus far. I picked up 3 Cryptocroryne lutea and 2 Echinodorus bleheriAmazon Swords. I hope these will work. Let me know if anyone has any advice on these plants. The Care tag says it's moderate to strong light and the lutea are low to moderate light. Other than that I don't know much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts