Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
this my problem i have a 50 gal tank with a cover and light ballast. here is a picture

the tank is 36"x16"x20". right now has it stands there is only 1 30" 25 watt bulb.. which is not enough light. i cannot just add add a 90watt 30" bulb bc inverter has a max of 25 watts marked on it.. so now here is my question.. how to i get a higher watt bulb in there while still keeping my orignal ballast. i dont care if i have to open it up and remove the old hardware bc im already considering it.. but im looking for a 30" 75 watt or above or even 2 15" 40 watt bulbs.

any suggestions

thx

·
DYNOMITE!
6,490 Posts
PM Winkyee. He can tell you how to hook up ONDO lighting. I think you can ramp up any flourescent fixture with that setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PM Winkyee. He can tell you how to hook up ONDO lighting. I think you can ramp up any flourescent fixture with that setup.
OK so i have read up on odno lighting and have already set it up on my tank.. here are the pix

i have 2 f25t8. I have both bulbs running OD 2x on a 4-f32t8 ballast. My only concern is the ballast gets really hot after about 1 hour. I have run the setup for a couple of days without any problems. to give you an idea how hot its gets... I can put my hand on it but I can start feeling the heat in about 3 sacs, i can leave my hand on it and take the pain. but none the less would still like to know if that is normal for a ballast???

·
DYNOMITE!
6,490 Posts
I have a 4x55w CF fixture over my tank, and it is hot!

I guess it is normal

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Fixtures can get very hot... especially ODNO... theres a reason why so many salt water people who do it also seem to have fires in their houses. Wouldnt hurt to get a small computer fan to help keep the air circulating around it.

I have a NOVA Extreme HO T5 fixture on my 75g and it stays hot enough to keep my water temperature around 76-79 during the day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this weekend i installed a fan on the canopy and i noticed that the ballast is now running a lot cooler. also the ligths themselves are not as hot. so i guessing that the ballast most of been working overtime to power the bulbs the hotter they got.. now that are running a little cooler the ballast doesn't need to work has hard..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.