Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
this my problem i have a 50 gal tank with a cover and light ballast. here is a picture

the tank is 36"x16"x20". right now has it stands there is only 1 30" 25 watt bulb.. which is not enough light. i cannot just add add a 90watt 30" bulb bc inverter has a max of 25 watts marked on it.. so now here is my question.. how to i get a higher watt bulb in there while still keeping my orignal ballast. i dont care if i have to open it up and remove the old hardware bc im already considering it.. but im looking for a 30" 75 watt or above or even 2 15" 40 watt bulbs.

any suggestions

thx

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
PM Winkyee. He can tell you how to hook up ONDO lighting. I think you can ramp up any flourescent fixture with that setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PM Winkyee. He can tell you how to hook up ONDO lighting. I think you can ramp up any flourescent fixture with that setup.
OK so i have read up on odno lighting and have already set it up on my tank.. here are the pix

i have 2 f25t8. I have both bulbs running OD 2x on a 4-f32t8 ballast. My only concern is the ballast gets really hot after about 1 hour. I have run the setup for a couple of days without any problems. to give you an idea how hot its gets... I can put my hand on it but I can start feeling the heat in about 3 sacs, i can leave my hand on it and take the pain. but none the less would still like to know if that is normal for a ballast???

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
I have a 4x55w CF fixture over my tank, and it is hot!

I guess it is normal

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Fixtures can get very hot... especially ODNO... theres a reason why so many salt water people who do it also seem to have fires in their houses. Wouldnt hurt to get a small computer fan to help keep the air circulating around it.

I have a NOVA Extreme HO T5 fixture on my 75g and it stays hot enough to keep my water temperature around 76-79 during the day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this weekend i installed a fan on the canopy and i noticed that the ballast is now running a lot cooler. also the ligths themselves are not as hot. so i guessing that the ballast most of been working overtime to power the bulbs the hotter they got.. now that are running a little cooler the ballast doesn't need to work has hard..

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Not a huge fan of overdriving lighting. I would say it would be still safer to just upgrade to a fixture that is built for the light that you are trying to output. An FW Aqualight would be one of the cheaper effective lighting systems. the Dual and quad ones have cooling fans built in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts