Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5,089 Posts
I would go with an AC 402. It pumps 280 GPH if I remember correctly. I had that powerhead in my 55 and it worked great.

It has and electrical cord that plugs into an outlet.

With a powerhead and filter outlets, you will have plenty surface agitation so that you wont need bubble stones. Piranhas can live in low oxygen environments, but with all the agitation you will get from the things mentioned above, you will have more than enough.

edit: it pumps 270 gph, but I was close.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Okay so I got a Doc Well Test kit, these are the results
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6-7.8 ppm
Ammonia: 1.0 ppm

Edit here are my tap water straight out of the tap water:
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 7.6 ppm
Ammonia: 1 ppm

I added some sample stress zyme like a few days ago to my tank. Is that normal for my tap water to be the same even without any of the chemicals? (dechlorinator and all that)

I also got one of those SeaChem Ammonia Alert things, which reads safe at the moment.

· Registered
5,089 Posts
eL ChiNo LoCo said:
I found one that was for a 30 gallon, but it had 170 gph, which I heard was a good setting, is it?
[snapback]837698[/snapback]​
It depends on the size of the fish more than anything, which i forgot to mention earlier. If the fish are small, the 170 gph will be fine. If they are larger (5+" IMO), I would say go with the AC 402 or something comparable. I would avoid the 802 for a 55, because the lowest setting on it doesnt seem to be all that "low" compared to when it is on full blast. I have an 802 in my 75 gal, and it does create quite a bit of current for a 4' tank.

· Registered
3,149 Posts
eL ChiNo LoCo said:
-Whats a good GPH or whatever from a powerhead for a 55 gallon
-What does it run off?
-Do I need a bubble stone thing
[snapback]836364[/snapback]​
this will help you in the future. (just enter your dimensions):
http://www.piranha-fury.com/information/de...lator_powerhead

and i f you have a good turnover with your powerhead and filters you'll be ok...i used to have a bubble wand with air pump but took it out...looks much better imo.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OKAY Kinda medium update haha, I put some play sand in my tank! I washed it then I poured it into the tank, after the few batches, I noticed the tank was cloudy, but today when I came back home from school I saw it cleared up alot. Ill post pictures up soon

Still need
AC802 Powerhead
Plants (any go good with p's?)
Driftwood
RED BELLIES!

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn this adds another week to get my piranahs, or probably longer; I got ich from the goldfish I got from my LFS to cycle the tank. Ive raised the temp to +88 and added 1 tablespoon of salt for every 55 gallons. Gonna be a long week..

· Registered
3,149 Posts
damn that sucks... and from what i've been reading: people have different exp with live plants in a p tank. Some have good luck and others find their plants torn up. I too want to try live plants in my next tank, but $$$ is an issue for me. so i might not

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.