Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on the Eclipse 37 gallon acrylic setup for about $170? Yah it seems steap but you get the complete setup in a box and its whisper quiet. Just add a heater and the gravel, plants and rocks and its good to go.

Gonna put 2 P's and a pleco in there..way too many fish or do-able? I won't upgrade from that for 2-3 years or so. If not what would be a NICE looking setup that minimizes space required? Looking to spend about $250 with accessories or so

Jeff

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
those arent very good systems,

by a 55g tank or a 75g tank, with glass lids, get something like an AC500 filter or something get a won bros titanium heater, dark river gravel, and some plastic plants and your should be set

·
Goldfish Chunks In Teeth
2,505 Posts
i would prob put a rhom/spilo in there...for pygos a 37 gal will only last a little while. you can get some baby reds if you plan on getting another tank within the next year. they grow very fast...but if you put a rhom/spilo in there that tank would be awesome!

good luck man!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have room for like a 75 gallon setup

What tank is there that is bigger vertically rather than horizontal?

I thought it was roughly 20 gallons per P

So 37 gallons would be good enough for 2 Ps correct?

I see 3 P's in a 55 for life

Jeff

·
Goldfish Chunks In Teeth
2,505 Posts
yeah but when you have 2 p's they tend to fight. when you have 3 it levels them out. plus. can you picture 2 12 inch red belly piranhas in a 37 gallon?

i'd get a 55 at least. or like i said before. a single serra species.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
SonicDark said:
I don't have room for like a 75 gallon setup

What tank is there that is bigger vertically rather than horizontal?

I thought it was roughly 20 gallons per P

So 37 gallons would be good enough for 2 Ps correct?

I see 3 P's in a 55 for life

Jeff
Piranhas dont care much for vertical, they like long and wide tanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I value this boards opinion which is why I'm here

I already have 2 baby Ps in a 12 gallon right now and they seem to get along pretty well most of the time

I'd like to get a good looking tank but would like to see if it would be reasonable to keep just 1 in there then and then add a pleco to the 37?

If not what kind of space saving quiet setup can I get for under $300?

·
Goldfish Chunks In Teeth
2,505 Posts
p.s. if saving space is a big issue. p's may not be your best bet. get them out of that 12 gallon quick.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll look for another tank

I already got the P's right now so I dont want to dump them

If I can't find anything else then I'll just see what happens

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
goldfish chunks in teeth said:
hell yeah...you can get a nice 55 for under 300.00.

then another red and a pleco. your all set man!
you can get a 55g setup at walmart for $150, its not the best of stuff but enough to get you going

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Get a 55 gallon and put an ac500 on it. That is very quiet and the combo will run you about 150 to 170. Than add the heater and other stuff.
If you want to stay with a smaller tank, get a spilo and take the reds back to the LFS.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
SonicDark said:
Yah I don't want a walmart tank

I want something that looks good and is dead quiet

Suggestions?
Scan local newspaper ads and the internet: with some luck and patience, you'll find a fully complete tank, with all the necessary hardware, for very little money!
Many members on this board, me myself included, have found great tanks and/or equipment this way...

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
grosse gurke said:
Get a 55 gallon and put an ac500 on it. That is very quiet and the combo will run you about 150 to 170. Than add the heater and other stuff.
If you want to stay with a smaller tank, get a spilo and take the reds back to the LFS.
yeah mm hmm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's an ac500?

What about a tall 40 gallon or tall 45?

Still not good enough for 2?

I'm just trying to avoid wide if at all possible

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Wide is better for P's. Also walmart 55's look good just get the tank and stand and buy an AC500(Aqua Clear 500 filter 500 gph turnover rate.)

also i had a 55 and a 20 gallon tank in my room and i bet u my room is smaller than where u are putting ur tank.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
SonicDark said:
What's an ac500?

What about a tall 40 gallon or tall 45?

Still not good enough for 2?

I'm just trying to avoid wide if at all possible
AC500 = AquaClear 500 filter...

Like Nate said before, p's don't really care about the height of the tank (although they do use the entire room in my case). A bigger footprint is much more important than a tall tank, due to they way the establish territories. A 40 or 45g would be sufficient for two reds (according to the 20 gallon-per-pygo rule of thumb), but keeping 2 reds is not a good idea. I advise you go either get a tank large enough to house 3 pygo's, or get one small serra...

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
bigger footprints are important for powerfailures too, they give the tank a greater surface area to exchange gas, this will keep the fish alive longer

you shouldnt keep just 2 Ps together either, get 3 or 1, you can keep 3 reds in a 55g for a long time

1 - 20 of 32 Posts