Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Danger
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i am trying to make my tank feel more home like for my new rbp's, i was thinking that in the jungles that they live in they have rays of light through the canopy. i wanted to know if this would work:
paint my light black with some sort of semi translucent paint and then scratch off little pieces too let little jets of light through. thus simulating a jungle.
would this work? has anyone tried this?

stuart

·
Registered
873 Posts
OR

you could use poster board and cut holes in it where you want the light to shine through. some light will radiate through the thick paper, but the majority of light would shine through the holes. just cut the piece to fit right under your strip light and tape it to the sides.

just an idea I pulled out of my ass . . . see if it works.

~Will.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
good question. i have heard of people twisting electrical tape around the bulb in a candy cane pattern.

im sure this would work, but dont get into paint. theres gotta be another method

·
Danger
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that is way cool, i like that plants which are the ones in ur tank? i might try with the plant idea but tonite im gonna make a cylindar roll of paper to go over my light and cut some little bits out and see what that looks like.
do you think doing this will make my p's act more natural in the tank?

thanks everyone

stuart

·
Danger
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok guys, ive just put a piece of thick card around my light, the card didnt fit all long the length of the tank so at each end of the tank there r two shafts of light, looks great when all the lights bar the aquarium light is off. i will post some pics later maybe, will the sellotape melt from the light???

stuart

·
Danger
5,654 Posts
click on my signature to have a look also tell me how it looks its my first attempt

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
If you really want rays of light, I'd replace the tube light with two spotlights (for every corner one), and replace the canopy by sheet(s) of glass: dimm the glass sheets with dark sheets of paper, tinfoil or whatever useful, and it should look sweet (I guess, never tried it...)

·
Danger
5,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the picture doesnt do it justice. i will keep snapping until i get one that does. i tried to cut a little hole in the tube but it didnt make ne rays of light maybe if i made a bigger one...

stuart

·
Registered
516 Posts
you probably won't be able to get "rays" b/c the sun is a lot more powerful of an enerfy source than fl. tubes. Plus, the rays show in nature because the water has different minerals and is alot more cloudy than the water in your tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.